Advise, please? HOSTS & related files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I've got unnecessary files with my HOSTS file. I've also got a longstanding (year+) association between Brøderbund (a print shop program) and my HOSTS.TXT.SIG file that I haven't been able to stop from recurring when I update HOSTS.

I think it got screwed up because of opening some zip files rather than extracting them. I was ignorant & inconsistent. :oops: Still don't understand how the two processes differ, but nowadays I always extract when the option is there. ;)

I'd be grateful for advice on what I can safely dump (see screenshot) and on how to eliminate the Brøderbund association if it won't be go away with the unnecessary files. I learned a hard drive or two ago not to delete based on my own best guesswork, and don't know what else belongs with HOSTS. :doubt: I'm also open to a recommendation if a particular HOSTS file resource is held in higher regard than hpguru.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2005
  2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

the files without extensions are important... the rest useless and harmless...
    AFAICT.. that's it.
    Try merging >1 HOSTS files.
    A good one for novices @ www.geocities.com/yosponge

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you! So I can delete 5 files (or 6, if I don't keep a HOSTSprior.txt). Can the folder called 'Mac' be deleted, as well? I don't think it was always there.

I've tried deleting the HOSTS.TXT.sig file, but the next time I updated, that association with my print shop program was in the new one. Perhaps when those other files are gone, that won't happen. I'll try re-extracting the current HOSTS.
    o_O I'm not sure what you mean.

P.S. Thanks for the size adjustment, ronjor!

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

HPguru's Hosts file is held in very high regard....along with MVPS HOSTS File
    The Mac folder is part of HPguru's Hosts file and can be deleted if you wish. You can read about the HOSTS.TXT.sig file in the Readme.html that comes with HPguru's hosts.zip file

from the Readme.html file:

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I did, which is why I deleted it...more than once. Would still like to get rid of the wrong Brøderbund association that returns with every update, even if it doesn't currently affect anything. I'll tinker a little bit, and if it doesn't go, maybe changing the source of the HOSTS file will get rid of it.

My guess is that I accidentally clicked on the print shop graphics program as a way to view that file when I first began using a HOSTS file, and it's set as a default viewer somewhere. There should be a process to replace that memory in the computer, if so.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It appears from the above pic that you are using XP ?

Perhaps the below MSKB article will help.

This article---> How to change file associations in Windows XP

7. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you! I read that, and had the default changed in well under a minute. Will know for sure if it worked after re-extracting...and will reboot before doing that. :)

I couldn't find anything when I searched in here about extracting from zip files, versus opening them and copying or cutting/pasting their contents to the place they'd otherwise be extracted to. Do you have any ideas on search terminology that might get me to the info I want?

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The compression program you are using might have the same feature mine does(powerarchiver) where by I can depress and hold my right mouse button as I place the mouse pointer over a zip file in Windows Explorer. I then drag the file over to a folder of my choice and release the right mouse button. A menu should then pop up and you can select Extract here.

Other than that....I'm not sure of what search terminology would best fit what you are asking o_O

9. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I decided as long as I have the current HOSTS in place, I'll save the test for the next update. Like everyone, I run out of time before I run out of things to do.

If I have the feature you mention, I'm not aware of it. Am I wrong in thinking there's a difference between what I get when I extract the contents of a zip file to a specific place and what I'd get if I opened the file and copied or moved its contents to that same place? It was an assumption, rather than anything I read or was told.
    ==================
    I'm going off my own topic here because I hate to start a new thread over something trivial. It hasn't been worthy of mention within any posts here, at Wilders. I did a search for it. :doubt:

There's a folder under Drivers called disdn that I don't remember seeing before I deleted the unnecessary files in with HOSTS...but I'm not sure. Every time I look, I change my mind about it. One of my cats was on the desk, nuzzling my hand on the mouse while I deleted those files that were with HOSTS, so I might've done something unintentional. It wouldn't be the first time my cats "helped" me move a folder. I'll attach a screen snapshot in hopes of finding out if it belongs or not.

Attached Files:

10. no13

find hosts files from 2 or more sources.... merge them by removing duplicates.
    better, wider coverage. harder work.

11. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion & the explanation. :) It's a great idea for someone who has experience merging such files. I'm barely managing a HOSTS file from one source! :oops:

12. no13

I'm still continuing LOL...
    Don't get enough time to even type out these replies :(
    My true merged Hosts file went up in smoke after a local "repairman" formatted C:
    <<ANGER>>
    anywhu... Good luck on your "ad-lessness" quest (is that a real word?)

13. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you. Actually, it's not a quest. I've pretty much attained "ad-lessness" with what I currently have. Sounds like you should've had a back up of that merged file!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.