Advise on How To Run TrueImage 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve M, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve M

Steve M Registered Member

Advise on How To Run TrueImage 9 (it CRAWLS)

Hello,

I just installed TrueImage 9 and tried doing a full archive backup of my 25GB of data to a built-in DVD burner. After several hours the software said it was 2% done.. and that it would take more than a week to complete.

I have a 2.4GHZ Windows XP Home Emachines computer with 512MG memory and was hoping for better performance than that. I must be doing something wrong!

How can I best run this with best results/speed?

- Can it run in safe mode?
    - Does it matter if I use DVD RW or DVD R media?
    - Should the internet be disconnected?
    - Can the backup be done in Command Mode using the Boot CD to start machine?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steve Millman
    Steve@millman.biz

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I don't know why TI isn't operating prperly on your machine, by 25gb of data ought to take only a few minutes to back up and few minutes more to verify. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes tops, depending on the speed of your pc and your drives. UNless you have a very old and slow PC, there is probably a problem with how TI is addressing your hardware and hopefully Acronis will pipe in some troubleshooting.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

4. Steve M

Steve M Registered Member

Thanks, I see that now. I was not trying to split the files up into smaller chunks as you describe. (I thought I had read that it would do so automatically, though; but pehaps that is not working).

But what about my other questions?

Would you do a full backup with your internet connected?
    Does TI run from Safe Mode?
    Can you run it from the command prompt?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I image my C and other drives all the time with my DSL connection active.

I have heard that it runs in Safe mode but don't know if that statement applied to writing directly to DVD.

By Command I assume you mean the Acronis standalone bootable CD version. If so: Short answer is, I don't know. This is a linux environment and drivers can be a problem and I would guess there is no packet-writing included.

Hopefully, somebody may give you more definitive answers.

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“Would you do a full backup with your internet connected?
    Does TI run from Safe Mode?
    Can you run it from the command prompt?”

1- I do it all the time.
    2- Never tried. In fact I think if you activate the Startup Recovery Manager, you lose the Safe Mode option. (I think there’s a fix in the works)
    3- Again, I’ve never tried.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It's up to you. You can create a full image with your internet connected without any problems.

I'm afraid that Acronis True Image 9.0 does not work in Windows Safe Mode.

Acronis True Image 9.0 does not write to DVD in rescue mode. Please note that the ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds/versions of a particular software but exact time frame is not decided yet. However, if you want to store your image on DVDs, please use two-step method as it is described at htis FAQ article.

Please note that when booted from the bootable media you are able to access any connected hard disks as well as a wide variety of IDE, SCSI, FireWire (IEEE-1394), USB (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) and PC card (PCMCIA) interfaces and devices, including CD-ROM, CD-R(RW), magneto-optical drives, network, Iomega Zip and Jaz. So you can store your image files there.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.