Advice re Nod32 & My New Notebook Needed!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by LaFemmeMichele, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

Hi!

I've wanted Nod32 for quite a while!

I have a brand new laptop with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection. The OEM may have altered it. On my other PC Comodo FW reports it as Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection. It was setup using the new PC & the other one has no wireless abilities. I have a strong connection via a Netgear Router WPN824 . I configured all wireless settings with Intel software not the Windows-based. I have a Sony Vaio SZ & my OS is WinXP Pro.

I am ready to remove the Norton Security Suite for my AV/FW of choice. I would like very much to use Nod32, have been reading, & now a question has arisen. On the forum I've discovered wireless connectivity issues. So with Eset d/l bookmarked & the Symantec removal tool on my desktop, I've decided to investigate further.

Has anyone here heard of Intel making changes to the WinSock library? I looked at the Intel site to no avail. I did a search there for "WinSock" that showed results, but don't know how to interpret them, I'm not a tech! I have a recollection of some statement re WinSock while configuring the wireless settings. I was rushed through the process by Netgear's technical support.

I'm concerned with the module called IMON. I may not be able to use it or be able to connect wirelessly, if Intel has changed the WinSock library for network or port address translation.

By the way I'm a novice user (talk down to me please!).

I don't want to corrupt my new PC! I read a thread where installing Nod seemed to damage someone's wireless notebook for this reason.

Is there anyone here who is using Nod & Intel wireless without difficulty?

Do you think it wise to use Nod without IMON? Should I be using Windows to manage, change cards? After reading that thread, I question whether or not I should d/l Nod! FMON!

Advice please! Thank you!

Michele

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi there,

I have a Dell laptop which came with an Intel Pro 2100 Wireless card (model: WM3A2100) and that worked perfectly, no conflicts with NOD32 that I saw. I always have IMON switched on for that extra protection and nothing untoward happened here :)

I have since replaced that card with the faster Intel Pro 2200 (model: WM3A2200) and that also works without any problems.

As for your other questions, yes I let Windows manage the wireless settings rather than the Intel PROset software. I personally would always have IMON turned on, and there are a few threads here started by people asking the same question - a recent one: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=163125

If you supply the link to the thread you have someone here may be able to check it for you and let you know of any problems and/or solutions to the issues raised there.

good luck!

Lee

3. LaFemmeMichele

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The other link, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150023 , that is posted with in your posted thread may also shed some light on the subject for you. It would appear that there may be a conflict of sorts between Imon and the Intel wireless configuration software. :eek: The solution it would seem at this time is to let XPs` configuration software to do the job. I set up my Linksys add on PCI Wireless G card using it and had 0 issues. :D However I do not run Nod on it either. :(
    It may be a wise idea to copy and paste the instructions for repairing Winsock and Imon into notepad and save them to your Desktop for reference should you have problems after uninstalling NSS and installing Nod. :rolleyes:
    I do commend you for doing your research in advance and being well prepared.:thumb:

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I have the same wireless network adapter in my dell laptop. NOD32 runs flawlessly with it and IMON causes me no problems at all. Rest assured your laptop will run fine once you've removed norton.

6. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hmmm, shame that thread didnt have much closure...it could be that the problem was resolved after following Blackspear's suggestion (the last post).

I've never chosen to use the Intel software to manage the wireless connection, may be that might cause problems, it seems to have in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=860075 (which was linked to from the thread you had been reading).

If you do decide to go with NOD32 then you should take a look through this invaluable thread before and during the NOD32 install and setting up process: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509, on page 5 it also deals with repairing the winsock and repairing IMON if you do have connection problems.

I'd imagine that Intel wireless cards are widely used and I would expect to see more threads here if there were serious problems with them and NOD32.

If it was me, then I think I would just go for it :D I think it may be one of those things where you arent going to know until you try, and there are people here (more techy than me) that are on hand to help out if you do run into problems. Like I say, that is what I would do, not what I am suggesting you should do :)

Maybe someone else will be offer to more help :)

(and the pig says thanks!)

7. LaFemmeMichele

ThunderZ, FarmerLee, Rothko,

Nice to here from you! You make me feel watched over! Thanks for your input!

ThunderZ I'm making a little bound manual from BlackSpear's settings! I don't know how anyone could make these decisions without researching! Nod is like Rubick's Cube! I really want it! I would be so proud! :)

Rothko I PM'd the guy who could give a little closure. Intel ought to be able to provide an explanation on its mechanism of action. I think you're right when you say we'd be seeing more threads.

You are so advanced on here--you know how to fix things easily when they go wrong!

Michele

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello . About your question,about the wireless setup .
    I personally use only wired connections for security reasons but have two clients with laptops with Intel wireless cards and they use NOD32 without problem and they are really proude users of NOD32 :)

Just to write you some tipss , the removal procedure for Norton .
    First goto Control Panel->Add/Remove programs
    Find Norton Internet Security and uninstall it . Follow the instructions and restart .
    After that , again goto Control Panel->Add/Remove programs to check for some leftovers . You may find some Symantec stuff and Live Update left .
    First find Symantec and uninstall it followed by a reboot . Again after the restart , in Add/Remove programs uninstall Live Update and Restart .

The first thing you should do after you have removed Norton is to enabled Windows Firewall (goto Control Panel->Windows Firewall-> ON and press OK) It is essential not to connect to the internet without firewall because you can fall victim of hackers for seconds) After that download and run Norton's removal tool from here . Reboot after that and you are ready .

Now you can download and install the free 30 day trial version from ESET's web-site www.eset.com , trial version here . You can use it until you purchase and receive your NOD32 license . After you have got the user/pass , there is an internal option to convert the trial into full version without need of reinstall

Enjoy :thumb:

9. LaFemmeMichele

Hi Tech Boy,

How very kind of you to expound on the proper exorcising of this notebook! :)

I realize this morning, after beginning the setup process with Intel software, I wound up typing 192.xxx.x.x into the navigation toolbar & going into Netgear's setup wizard. I believe it may have been at the start of this that I saw something re WinSock. I know I saw something! I was really getting rushed & had to get the guy to chill because I wanted the most secure not the quickest configurations. I chose the product for its features & wanted to utilize them.

I never used the disc that came with the router. Could the router itself be the culprit so to speak? Does it have the ability to alter the WinSock library? I'm using (against my helper's wish) the advanced encryption standard WPA2. I think I should take another look at Netgear before d/l Nod.

Thoughts?

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome ! :thumb:

I don't think so

Just try , it won't hurt . If it doesn't work you can get back

11. LaFemmeMichele

So the worst possible outcome would be a connectivity issue & not damage to the notebook?

OK then I'll give the A+ Rubick's Cube a go! :)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just have the commands to reset the winsocket on windows xp sp2 on hand just incase but i doubt its needed.
    lodore

13. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

NOD32 v2.7 (with IMON) & Comodo v2.4 working perfectly on my Dell Inspiron laptop - no problems whatsoever with Intel ProSet/Wireless management (which I prefer to Windows Wireless management). :thumb:

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes . Should something happen generally it is easily fixed . Just try it and I'm sure you'll fancy it ;)

15. LaFemmeMichele

Hi Iodore, PVSurfer (Palos Verdes?), Hi Tech Boy,

Thanks so much!!! :)

16. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

YW Michele ...just don't make it more complicated than it really is and you will be fine.

PS. How do you know Palos Verdes?

17. LaFemmeMichele

Things just became complicated! I'm on another PC.

I just ran the Norton Removal Tool & rebooted & was greeted by an error message:

Infineon
    Catostrophic Error

& another:

Caution
    The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be compatible with the computer. Click OK to enter hibernate mode & remove & reinsert the battery.

I clicked OK, went into hibernation & even though the PC had been plugged in I removed & reinstalled the battery! And since I'm unfamiliar with this mode, I turned the PC on. It started up with a message letting me know I can press F8 to troubleshoot. I let it go into Windows & was greeted by the same Caution message.

I clicked OK again, it doesn't give me another option. It's in Hibernation mode.

Now what? :(

I've printed all BlackSpear's settings (I had to go buy more paper!), & I bought NOD!

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, can you tap F8 on boot up and then try the "last known good configuration" to see if that will bring you back to a stable Windows.

Cheers :D

19. LaFemmeMichele

Hello! Thank you! I'll give it a try! :)

20. ThunderZ

Do not panic LaFemmeMichele. Plenty of people around to help. If Blackspears` suggestion dose not help I am sure other suggestions\ideas will follow.

21. LaFemmeMichele

With last known good configuration I get greeted with:

Infineon Security Platform Taskbar Notification Icon
    Catastrophic failure

again! I clicked OK. The desktop looks normal! Infineon has hardware & a software component. I never setup the software. I just typed "catastrophic failure" into its help file search & it shows no results. Typing "error" brings up several selections but none seem relevant.

What else can I do? It wouldn't have greeted me like that if all was well! I just rebooted & I get the same Catastrophic failure message!

Symantec! If they can't be on your PC, they break it! I was very careful to turn off each component in the suite before removing it & rebooted in between. I even tried to do this in Safe mode but it wouldn't open.

Next step? Remember I don't know much, I may have not tried or done something that you would assume I did!

22. ThunderZ

Which version of Norton did you have?

23. ThunderZ

It is getting late where I am. I was up before dawn, and have another early day tomorrow(today). I will leave you for now with this suggestion. Do a Google for "manual removal of >enter product and version number here<". It will probably involve editing the registry. Go slowly and double check each step before you do it and you should be fine. One other option is to call Symantec Tech.(?) Support. I believe it is free for Lic. Vers. owners. Many years ago I was in a position that I had to. At that point in time they were quit helpful. I`m am sure others will post with help\suggestions. I will check back ASAP to see how you are doing.

24. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You could try reinstalling Norton in Safe Mode, and then reboot and uninstall.

Cheers :D

25. LaFemmeMichele

ThunderZ,

Thank you & Good Night! I just ran a registry mechanic in Safe mode, but when I get back to the desktop I get the Catasrophic failure! And when I went to put the Symantec tool in the recycle bin it denied me access to it! Till death do us part or from beyond the grave!

I wonder if removing the Infineon software & then reinstalling would stop this. I wonder what the extent of the damage is? I spoke to them in Germany last week because I wanted to know the significance of my registry mechanic targeting it--I had to whitelist it, & never got a satisfactory response from Infineon or PC Tools.

Blackspear,

So if I've no AV I should go online? And run that tool again? I'd be more comfortable regediting. You know the only folder I find is Symantec Shared in Common files, a .dll that denies access.

I'm thinking the trouble lies in Infineon. What do you think of that? The NOD install exe is on the desktop but should I put it on now?

Addendum: The Windows Security Center shows that there is no AV & Windows FW is on. I just removed Infineon Trusted Platform & forgot I couldn't go online to Sony to d/l another! FMON!

Update: I regedited all Norton & Symantec & am installing NOD! Will reinstall Infineon once it's on. While Infineon has been off no Catastrophic message.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.