Advice on Firewalls?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kathyhl, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Nod, cute analogy, but I have a living breathing pet, my PC is a machine I use for enjoyment, nothing more or nothing less. I never chose PC's as my career, therefore I don't know as much as people that have been tinkering with them, using them for business, or who have made a career out of them. I am however capable of doing a few things with it to keep it going, and thanks to so many kind people in here, I have access to every single one of my programs, and can use them. As it stands, I have no losses to cut. The very few errors I still get, don't hinder what I actually like to do on the PC at all. So I think I'll just keep it for awhile. I realize upgrading is always good, and one day I will do that, but right now I'll just continue to enjoy using it.

This post did in fact get off the beaten track, so rather than continue with it, I will just thank everyone who has given me yet a little bit more knowledge about PC's.

Wilders continues to remain one of the best forums I've ever found, and what really makes it that way is the time and patience the people with the PC knowledge have with people like me that just don't have all the knowledge they need in order to accomplish a bit more than they would like to.

Thanks to everyone,

2. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Kathy

am really sorry to see you close the subject.....you were doing just fine Kathy......so let me encourage you to continue your efforts to repair your computer an by so doing gain knowledge from the experience.
    do yourself this one favor....go back to System Information ....TOOLS.......an run SYSTEM File CHECKER....will only take a few moments.........
    Well Kathy.........speaking for myself I very much enjoy older computers an find hours of enjoyment rebuilding them only to give them away to someone in need......after years of doing this....my out of pocket expense is under $20......many good people have donated software...old computers..etc. In the past I have given away new computers as well....but those days are gone now....for awhile at least
    True...computers are machines....just machines......I have no desire to be a computer wizard.....even sounds rather boring....nope, I have a life....a rather good life that I enjpy.....computers and the internet....well, its nice to use them but they wont ever use me.

Good Luck Kathy.......

ThatSnowGuy?The Snowman

3. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

COMMENT

This thread has been a reminder to me to respect the need for gentleness when offering help to others. Oh so well I can remember the frustration I felt trying to learn the small details of computers....like how to turn one off. I was very fortunate to have some excellent instructors along the way........they must have smiled alot as I made my mistakes..but they always encouraged me to continue.
    Kathy is a Newbee....I personally recall her first post here at wilders....afterwhich she has tryed to learn and grow.....just as many other Newbees coming to wilders have done.....
    My hope for myself is that I can always be patient towards Newbees....remembering that they are struggling....often confused.....but the have the amasing courage to face the task....an achieve the goal.
    Anyone can become a computer wiz.....will a little encouragement....just alittle. Afterwhich their may be wonderful results.
    In my earlier posts I stated my giving up on offering help....an I very much ment that......but made an exception for Kathy....an kept hoping others would join in........some good people posted...........but here we are Kathy is closing the subject....yes, she installed another firewall....but her computer isn't fixed.......can it be fixed......guess we will never know now..will we?

4. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

COMMENT (2) (NOT RELATED TO KATHY)

My I also respectfully suggest that it be taken into consideration that not everyone visiting wilders can afford new computers.......what may seem like a triffle amount of money to some may mean keeping a roof over the head of another or feeding a hungry child......the person may find it very embrassing to discuss their situation...an rightously so.....
    Thank You

5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The most logical path is to reload windows, not removing/loading/running a bunch of applications hoping that they will fix the "mysterious" fault(s). The more you tinker with the operating system, the greater the probability that you will break it beyond repair. If you can live with the random errors, then that is your best solution at this time.

Like I said before, if you cannot reload windows (that's FREE), then it's time to look for a replacement PC. BTW, I suspect an individual with broadband access could probably afford a used $150 computer.

6. Kathyhl

Thank you TheSnowGuy

I thought about starting a new thread, then wasn't sure where the appropriate place would be, and being as I'm following up on something you told me to do in one of your last posts, just thought I would leave it here and if it is meant to be moved, it will be. Not sure when or if you will see this, but I went into the system information and ran system file checker, these are the results:
    Folders examined - 273
    Files examined - 2050
    Files added to verification data file - 17
    Files removed from verification data files - 10
    Files updated in verification data file - 26
    Files restored - 0
    Files changed ignored - 0
    Also after doing a few other things I now have 86% system resources free.

I also do want to apologize to you. I wasn't going to keep this thread going, and still have no intention on doing so, but you were only trying to help me, so I really had no right to ignore you. Normally I have a pretty thick skin to what people say over the PC that I can't see. We all know you can't feel or hear emotion over the PC, so I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm really a very intelligent person, PC's not withstanding ;) I guess it's just difficult at times when I'm having problems that I really do want to learn about without having to always run to a tech.......and without going any further here, or laying blame anywhere, most everything you said was true, and quite frankly I was just frustrated to the point of tears, so didn't even think it was worth trying anymore.

You're a good person TheSnowGuy, don't ever quit coming here or trying to help someone when everyone else has given up. I doubt leaving someone to fend for themselves is really your style anyway :)

PS. Fannymites, thank you for your input on Avast, I had no idea that could happen. Knowing that also tells me nothing else was messing with or conflicting with it :)

7. TheSnowMan

TheSnowMan Guest

KATHY

That a girl....Kathy you can do this.....I know you can!!! An no you have no need to apologise....none at all....instead, once you master that Ye Ole Computer......pass the wisdom on by helping someone....just pass the wisdom on. Yes you are most intelligent.....with much insight...a truely great gift.
    An yes Kathy...my decision to stop helping is final...times have changed......its become a battleground of mixed personalities and deferred goals....the quest for privacy has been lost......defeat has arrived......its all meaningless now. Let the egotist strike the final blow of their own defeat but I wont be around to watch.

An now as to your computer issues. The results of the system file check were favorable....no files were restored.....corrupt files would have been replaced..none were. Hey,,REAL NICE that you raised the resources.......remember to use MAXMEM......
    Now, here is a program for you to install...the very last free version......AN ONCE INSTALLED DON"T DO ANYTHING ELSE>>>JUST LET IT DO ITS THING ON ITS OWN>>>>>ITS POWERFUL KATHY>>>>>AN IF IT DOES NOT HELP>>ON ITS OWN>>JUST DUMP it

http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=1188

Kathy, at the moment there is a sense of bitterness in the air.....brought about by those who wish to lock up this forum......but I wont battle nor argue with them.....they can have the forum......you are correct in that I did not want to leave without trying to assist you....now however, its at the end....you did well Kathy.....there is only so much you can do if the computer's hardware has become worn......obviously it still meets your needs an thats all that counts.......There is a website that could give you ALL the win98 tweaks and updates....if I can find the url then I'll login and send you a private message containing the url..only.

Warm Regards

TheSnowGuy/ The Snowman

8. Sorry to hear you're leaving, SnowGuy, I really enjoy reading your posts. Not everyone appreciates your advice, but that's because your approach is to make people THINK, and not everyone wants to do that.

Goodbye, good luck, and I hope you change your mind.

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

As expected, system file checker did not reveal anything NEW. There are probably multiple issues with the registry and/or other software conflicts. Most pros wouldn't even touch these problems. That's why PC vendors developed the recovery CDs.

Take the computer to a good PC shop and tell them to reformat the hard drive/reload windows. And instruct them to burn the image file of your C partition containing the newly installed operating system on a CD-R disc. You will need to pay for the imaging software (drive image 4 is small and can run from two floppy discs). If you encounter PC problem in the future, then use the image file on the CD-R disc to restore your PC to the state it was in when it left the PC store. This is essentially your recovery CD.

Restoring the image file is quite easy if you have Drive Image 4. Reboot with Drive Image (DI) floppy disc 1. The system will tell you to reload disc 2. Now instruct the system to restore the image file from the CD-R disc to the C partition on the hard drive. Reboot the PC in about 15 min to complete the restoration process.

Expect to pay a one time fee of $100 for these services.

10. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Anonymous

I am truely humbled by your words.....an grateful. An oh yes you are most correct......to awake a person"s mind to its ability is a wonderful achievement............I've no desire to be a computer wiz....heck I don't even like using computers........people..once they realize that they can solve their computer problems go on to advise others.....an the kindness..the caring and sharing gets passed on.....isn't that what its suppose to be all about.......the caring and sharing??/ Well, I guess I was wrong in believing that it was caring for each other,,,,
    Every person in his own right is a leader......no one need ever settle for being a follower.........unfortunately there are those who "need" followers.....an prefer to dominate instead of educate.......

NOD

If you notice Kathy has expressed a willingness and courage to deal with her computer issues........not once has she complained......because she is not a quiter.....but instead she is already a winner..even if she never fixes that old computer........an the good news is: SHE IS LEARNING!!!! She is doing all the things that she is instructed to do.....an doing it RIGHT!!
    A re-format could well be the best way.....in time perhaps she may decide to do that.....but for now..for this moment in time....Kathy is the tech......she is the repair person......an I will give her my deepest respect for making that effort....whatever the outcome....

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

There's a big difference between learning and reading a recipe. Experiences tell me to take out the BIG gun if I don't fix the problem within a few days. Don't think most of those who come here are interested in starting a science project. Course I could be wrong.

12. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

NOD

If one.....just one person is willing to go that extra mile......I'll take the steps to encourage the person........your experience......my experience.....stay we both began somewhere.....an it wasn't at the top.

Well..got to get some supper.......Seeya later NOD......

13. Kathyhl

TheSnowGuy, I too am deeply humbled by your words. What a great loss to everyone if you were to leave. Forget you are needed here, but let me be the first to tell you, you are most definitely wanted. I felt compelled to tell you that before I can no longer do so :( .

For some reason I'm now losing all my memory 2 minutes after the PC has been turned on. I'm hoping this post will go. I had downloaded Maxmem, and was just in the process of d/l the other you just mentioned, but I had to subscribe, then go to my e-mail client and finish there, then I was hoping it would allow me to d/l it, but alas, to much running for the e-mail client to even work. It was working fine when I turned it off last night, but when I turned it on this morning I noticed it said it was configuring the setup? I never downloaded anything yesterday, or changed anything for it to want to configure. I clicked on cntrl/alt/delete and the only thing it said was running was explorer and z/a. This has certainly come out of nowhere, but I think something good always comes from things that happen to us, so maybe me being so stubborn and wanting to keep my win98 and learn from it's problems, will end with a new PC. Not really very good timing for a new PC right now, but we get my husbands dispatch's for work via e-mail, so I may not have much of a choice.

One last thing TheSnowGuy, It's not all meaningless, you helped me, and you taught me, isn't that what giving is all about? This Forum is a better place with you in it. One day someone may ask me a question that I will be able to answer because you answered it for me, and that person could then pass on that information.........and all because you took the time to help ;) .

Thanks so much...... :)

14. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2004
  15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Snowguy,

It might be wise to tell a bit more about this exe file before putting it straight here.
    Regards,

Gerard

16. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Kathy

As a pre-caution scan your computer with trogan Hunter...below is the direct download link...trogan hunter is payware......just discard it after scanning.

http://www.misec.net/products/TrojanHunter.

Gerard

The post was specifically addressed to Kathy....she knows what the <exe>......is

executable link disabled at posters request==bigc

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2004
  17. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Gerard

Actually you are correct....posting of <exe> downloads do deserve some sort of notice......its the proper thing to do.......
    Due to events of the past 24 hours here at the forum..my mood is not the best tonight....just quietly trying to help Kathy

best regards

18. Kathyhl

TheSnowGuy, thank heavens for my shortcut to Wilders on my desktop! Thank you SO much, I d/l that and will run it now.

Kathy :)

19. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Kathy

Amasing what alittle team work will accomplish.......Hey...let us know if you can if the program helps.....

20. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

LowWaterMark/ or Mods

Now that Kathy has downloaded the programs...please feel free to either delete or inactivate those <EXE> links..........by reading her posts its clearly seen that she was not able to download the programs without some help.

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

links disabled at your request==bigc

22. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

BC

THANK YOU

23. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

SnowGuy, Nice work dude!! very helpful
    you are an assest hear for SURE;)

24. Kathyhl

TheSnowGuy, Thank you! you have gone out of your way helping me. I was really hoping to find a Trojan or 3, but it came up clean. I then ran Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot S&D, both coming up clean. I then opened a few programs and checked my system resources (just one more thing you taught me ;) ), and my system resources still sat at 85%, however, when I went to open my e-mail, my problems started, and my resources went down to 6%. Is that strange that it would only happen there? If I got a virus, you'd think it would also reside outside of my e-mail client o_O .

NOD could be right, I could be beating a dead horse here. I "assumed" with just a few minor errors and being able to still use all my programs, I'd be the happy little camper I was before any of the problems. But who knows, maybe just a re-install of the e-mail client ;) .

One thing is for sure, I have learned a few very important things along the way, from some very nice people in here. You really shouldn't take your knowledge and wisdom away from this forum TheSnowguy, you're a great asset :D

Thanks again,

25. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

HAYC59

Very kind words my friend.......there a few people here that have shown themselfs to be exceptional......you are one of those HAYC

Hope you continue looking out for these good folks.....

Very Best Regards

TheSnowGuy/The Snowman

hee hee...I was tempted to login....nawwwwwwww LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.