Advice on ad/script blocking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thommo14, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Thommo14

Thommo14 Registered Member

Hi

I am a beginner when it comes to ad/script blocking and am looking for advice on what to use. I have recently switched from Firefox to Chrome as my main browser due to regular crashes using the former. My OS is Windows 10 Creators Update.

Doing some research, I see many recommend either uBlock Origin or uMatrix, but not both together. From my limited understanding, uBlock Origin is an ad blocker and uMatrix is for handling scripts. Is this correct? Should I install both of these extensions and use them together?

Any advice on recommended use would be very much appreciated.

2. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Why... The front page of the project says:

3. Thommo14

Fair enough. From forums I've browsed, I see that people are using uBlock Origin to block ads while also using uMatrix to finer control other elements. I also see people using uBlock Origin only.

I guess it's all down to individual preference, but I was hoping to be pointed in right direction for someone starting out with this type of extension.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

thats right, but you dont need uM in real browser life. there is so many uBo can do for you.
    i suggest to work with uBo, read the wiki for handling
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki

and if - only then - you miss granular filtering on css, xhr (=popups) or cookies which can not be made with browser functions or uBo - only then try uM.

i had both, i dropped uM, complete overrated and medicine for the alu helmet fraction.
    in bad cases - and that will happen earlier than later - you brake sites, filtering to death.
    that is matter of windows 10 and not firefox. i have 1603 running (LTSB) and did not experienced any crash.

firefox and chrome (here:chromium - if you dont need the google services chromium may be the better choice)
    are equal in many parts - i designed my chromium to work similar to firefox <57. firefox 57 is more like chromium, i have same or similar extensions like chromium. (firefox 54 > chromium > firefox 57)

uM again - it dont has gain for security - in fact there is nothing to add to uBo. you can have other stuff installed for your conveniences, like a cooike button or cookie manager etc.

see my extension list:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...on-recommendations.375858/page-2#post-2686406

what i can recommend is the "ublock protector list" (see ublock) and "ublock protector" (extension) to get rid of anti-adblock messages "you use an adblocker bla"

5. Thommo14

Thank you for that informative post. I'll go with uBlock Origin on its own for now.

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Adguards pretty good too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.