Advice needed to secure my parents pc!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bio-Hazard, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Like the thread name says i need to secure my parents pc. At the moment they are using windows firewall and avast. They only use Firefox for internet. Also they have few on-demand scanners. So the set up needs to be:

1) easy to set up
    2) easy to use
    3) few pop ups
    4) ideally program should have finnish language, but it can be in english

I was thinking of security suite, but it can be individual programs aswell.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That is not too bad the way it is. Maybe if ZA or Comodo come in Finnish, you might add one of those fw's, but I would say it is not absolutely necessary. Just make sure the java is Sun Microsystems as opposed to Microsoft's version, and you could make sure your parents are well educated on handling email, especially attachments. Perhaps run a antispam program and show them how to add junk mail to the "permanently blocked" lists. You could set up some filters for them as well, ones that block messages with key words.

Also, if Bit Defender free (on-demand only) comes in Finnish, that would be a good addition if they don't already have it.

For online scan options, you could show them how to check files online using Jotti.org or VirusTotal

3. Bio-Hazard

Thanks for your reply. I have actually beeb thinking of Za but cant find any information about if they have finnish language. I thinka Za would be easier than Comodo. Ihva personally tried both and Comodo is much more noisier than Za. They already have java by Sun Microsystems.

I dont know any goog antispam programs. Any recommendations? I think the filters are to complicated especially because i am not always around to givwe them advice.

I am going to try Bit Defender myself and see.

Kristian

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If they use Firefox, then you really don't need anything else.
    You got a firewall, you got an anti-virus, you got a superb browser, all set.
    Mrk

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Download spywareblaster for them. This will block a whole lot of malware and for 10 bucks you can have it auto update. Spyware Terminator is free and has a great real time shield. 2.0 will have a Firefox shield.

6. Sogno

Sogno Registered Member

If they only use Firefox, spyware blaster is quiet useless because it doesn't handling any ActiveX ;)

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Not really, since it has Mozilla/Firefox protection as well, and the killbits for the registry cannot really hurt if the browser ever accidentaly is used ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

8. Bio-Hazard

Thanks everybody for all the advice. I know now what i am going to do. I am definately going add a good software firewall and spywareblaster.

Kristian

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Why did you add a mad face??

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The programs offered by Lavasoft (including the firewall) offers a Finnish version since the company is based in Sweden. But it isn't free though.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Using MVPS Hosts is also a very silent security measurement and keeps the parents away from bad websites.
    Hostsman provides an easy way to keep the host file up-to-date.
    I wished I had Virusman too, but it doesn't exist.

Hostsman
    http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/
    Unfortunately it is still a beta version, not recommended for parents.

MVPS Hosts file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

12. Bio-Hazard

SORRY!! It was mistake from my part, somehow my smilies are mixed up in Firefox. I didnt mean any offence to anybody!

I really appreciate the advice given here. Thank you!

(Ps. I deleted the wrong smilie)

Kristian

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Erik, bad sites are a matter of perception.
    Mrk

14. Bio-Hazard

My parents already have lavasoft ad-ware on-demand scanner, but i dont know how good the other programs are.

The hostfile option seems good. I am going to try that myself and then i decide if my parents can handle it.

Kristian

15. ErikAlbert

Is that a good combination : less-knowledgeable parents and perception ?
    In my newbie time, perception didn't help me much. I was unaware of any "danger".

16. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Just become someone added an entry xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to their IP block list, this does not mean this address is bad. Example, if you allow PG to block HTTP, it will block adobe site. Now, does that mean adobe is bad? Maybe. Maybe not. What it means is that it does not suit the taste / needs of those who put up the list. The same applies to hosts files.

Many of the blocked sites are simply there because they align with certain categories that might be perceived as potentially dangerous to unknowing users. But they could be true culprits as well completely innocent sites.

Mrk

17. ErikAlbert

I wonder why so many users use MVPS Hosts file, if it is such a worthless tool.

18. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I wonder the same thing.
    I also wonder why so many people use IE. A large pool of users does not mean a product is good. I also wonder why so many people need 33 anti-spyware apps. Or why people get infected.
    I wonder a lot during long, cold, sleepless nights...
    Mrk

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hey Mrk maybe you should consider stop drinking coffee at night.:p :D

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Erik,

I see that you have included anti-executable and defensewall in your sig. Change the o_O for a smiley

21. ErikAlbert

I'm not using this setup at this moment, because I can't buy AE, I can't access Faronics online store. I'm talking with them by email to get AE and pay for it.

My actual signature is more a question for help at Wilders to complete it.
    You seem to like it, that makes me feel much better, after all it's a rare and crazy one. :D

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Lavasoft's firewall was not rated that high in some of the firewall reviews. Their Ad-aware program is probably the "best" program from that company. A lot of software companies are expanding their offerings to cover other aspects of computer security. The other offerings are sometimes not up to par with other established wll known programs.

23. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

People get infected because they flip on the "on" switch on their computer. :p

24. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Mrk:

Many moons ago in the olden days of yore a newbie (me) put a post cereal cd in the cd drive (someone else had turned on PC) and got infected!

So people need to use knowledge like you have said before or apply knowledge before turning anything on / or off if for eg you are in a gas filled furnace room off switch also a bad idea! In that case, you never have a chance again to learn from your errors!

25. Bio-Hazard

Thanks for your reply. I had a same feeling.

Another question would F-secure be good option for laptop? Is it resource hog? Easy to use?

Kristian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.