Advantages of firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I don't know if this has been discussed.

wat are the advantages of each firewall and i mean the latest versions.

wat is the advantage of zonealarm

wat is the advanatge of sygate

wat is the advantage of kerio

wat is the advantage of look 'n' stop

wat is the advanatage of norton firewall

etc

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Chaos26, Each firewall has it's own pros & cons. Those that you have mentioned are all adequate if set up correctly.
    Please take a time to read through this site: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm which reviews the abilities of various firewalls to stop certain leaktests and also gives a very good overview of security in general.
    GKweb is a member here and is independant of any of the products he has tested, other reviews can be biased.
    My view is that you should try a few before settling on a particular one.
    I am sure others here will give views on their faves and from this you can create a shortlist of those you wish to try.

HTH Pilli.

3. chaos16

if a firewall wanted to could they have like a built in prevx but there own versions of it.

for example zonealarm as i use it on the next big version 6.0 if they wanted to could they put like a built in spywareblaster but there own and like a prevx but there own o_O?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you require the most complete granualer control currently available then you might like to take a look at Tiny: http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?s=5375286922905632385A0&&pg=content05&an=tf6_home
    This is a very powerful firewall, albeit with a fairly steep learning curve. :)

I also notice that they now have a 64bit version, great for those with the latest Intel and AMD cpu's :D

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Any of those five listed above is likely to get the job done. The choice is mainly a matter of personal taste and how much you want to get involved in the process of making it work. They are all widely used, with the exception of Look n Stop which is newer and from a small publisher. ZA, Sygate and Kerio have free versions so I recommend you keep your cash and see if you can get happy with one of those.

6. chaos16

But which firewall is better sygate or zonealarm.

for example wat is the advantage of each like zonealarm and block more leaks or sygate can o_O

7. Arup

Arup Guest

ZAP latest will block all the tests if that is important to you, Sygate Pro with dll blocking set and some good rules will block some, not all, ZAP is very good out of box but rule creation is a joke, Sygate is also excellent and has some features that other fireewalls dont have but need to be set up right with good rules and uncheking act as server for all the apps which it gives access by default.

8. squash

squash Registered Member

Out of the 2 choices, Go with ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm is much more stable and mature product (IMO) than Sygate is. It is also easier to setup and provides very good protection. On the balance of ease of use to protection. ZoneAlarm definitely wins, however, I am currently using Kerio 2.1.5 (which is lighter, just as stable, IMO).

But you may like to try both and see which one works for you. ZoneAlarm has however worked for me in the past.

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

All are good enough. Really, they are.

There is no best product here. You´ll have to identify your requirement for yourself, check the products and TRY for yourself.
    Zonealarm may be a great firewall, but I for one dislike the interface. I hate to use it, so I don´t. But you may find otherwise, many love it.
    I like Outpost. Others don´t.

So, as I said, all are good, but you have to find the product that suits YOU.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, very good advice free firewalls are exception to my rule that "Cheaper is usually better then free..."

Put those saved dollars into better hardware or the other security programs. IMHO you should never not have a good Trojan/malware killer, "realtime" now not just a scanner only just to spend money on firewall :p . Put the firewall $$ into good AT and AV. Got those covered and still flush with cash, send it to Mercurie... :D :D. (Oh, no just kidding)...then you can spend on firewall if you want to. ;)

11. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

Hi
    use kerio 2.1.5 itz free eazy and after all safe
    firewall's advantage
    no moving adds in my pc...no trojan ..no spyware etc etc
    AxiS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.