Advanced Security Settings > Change > Advanced > Find Now - Assistance?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Thelps, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Thelps

Thelps Registered Member

Wondering if anyone can assist me with some queries I have.

Under the folder Right-Click menu as follows:

Properties > Security (Folder Tab) > Advanced > Change... > Advanced > Find Now

When the above options are selected Windows lists a slew of names such as 'CREATOR OWNER', 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' etc. etc.

What are these names/account names? The icons they have suggest they're used in PC-to-PC networking and network access permissions (very similar if not identical to the icon that designates network-shared folders).

If this is the case how do I disable the vast majority of them? They'd represent network security flaws that appear to be enabled in the OS by default.

This question's been bugging me for a very long time.

2. Thelps

Thelps Registered Member

Bumping the thread since this one doesn't ever seem to get answered satisfactorily or clearly.

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

4. 142395

142395 Guest

If you use Windows Pro or above, you can disable them via policy editor. If you use Home version however, only way is editing registry hive HKLM\SECURITY, but it can only be accessed via SYSTEM privilege. So you either have to run regedit with SYSTEM by PSExec or other way, or edit its ACL and revert it back after you made change. Then, you'll see registry keys to edit each user (SID) rights, but note they are binary value, not easy-to-understand DWORD nor SZ. I once published in this forum a reg file to disable local logon by Guest account and remove network logon by some accounts, described in hardenwindows10 website. But unless you understand what you do, I don't recommend it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.