Advanced scheduling options?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hagen28, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hagen28

hagen28 Registered Member

Hi,
    I've have a partition with files I want to back up. I planned to do a full backup and then add incremental backups weekly. The problem is that after a while I will have too many backup files, so I thought about this one:

I do a full backup and then have 19 other incremental backups. Then I do another full backup with a different name and again 19 incremental backups. Then the first backup again, which replaces the old files, and the second backup which also replaces files and so on.

I don't want to start the backups manually, so I look for a chance to schedule task which do this automatically. Unfortunately the scheduler isn't that good, so I'm looking for alternative methods. Do you have other ideas to solve my general problem?

Thank you very much. I hope you can find a solution.

Regards,
    Hagen

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

How far back would you want to be able to restore?
    You could set up a separate task to start on the 1st, 3rd, 5th etc. of each month, or whatever days float your boat. They would write over themselves the following month.

3. hagen28

I don't want to do these full backups that often, because it's a lot of files. I thought of a five month rhythm, so that there is one full backup at the beginning and 19 incremental backups the next weeks.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

While an imaging program such as True Image is ideal for backing up operating systems, all associated programs and some data it is not always the best tool to use to backup large data volumes.

One disadvantage of using of using TI in the way proposed is that the data backup is not in native format. The original full backup plus all the increments must be present and correct for a successful restore. It could be most unfortunate if a glitch in an image set only became to light after a disaster has struck.

In the past I have used a version of Second Copy for data backups. There are lots of other programs that do a similar job. The original data is copied to another drive and can be kept updated automatically for all changes as they are made depending on the choices made.

If your data are mission critical it would probably be an idea to use a replication program in addition to images which are not in native format.

Xpilot

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hagen28,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

The schedule you described can be achieved by creating an Acronis Backup Location with a 40 total backups limitation, and setting a schedule task to create a full backup after every 19 incremental backups. When the backup location reaches its limit, the oldest full and incremental archives will be consolidated into one. If there are no incrementals for the oldest full archive left, it will be deleted (by then there will be already two sets of backups again).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. jackrussum

jackrussum Registered Member

Sorry to jump in.

I am using Acronis True image echo build 8.018.

Where do you find the setting "Acronis Backup Location with a 40 total backups limitation" and how do you set up the schedule to create a full backup after 19 incrementals"

Sorry if its noob question
    :)
    JR

7. hagen28

Thank you very much. I didn't know about Backup Locations. They're pretty cool :)

8. vukodlak75

vukodlak75 Registered Member

I'm using echo and I can't find that option either. I don't think it exists on echo.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vukodlak75 and jackrussum,

Thank you for using Acronis Backup software.

Please note that Acronis True Image Echo Workstation and Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server have the feature similar to Backup Location which is used in Acronis True Image Home. It's called Backup Server. It has Backup Location functionality included into it. You can find out more about Backup Server in the respective User's Guide.

As for Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows unfortunately it does not have Backup Server feature.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

10. pHaZm

pHaZm Registered Member

A simple and effective solution
    Create 2 folders for archive storage - A and B
    Set task to image to A
    Create scheduled task to move A to B whenever you want (or run manually here and there). Task will run a batch file that will move archives in A to B and delete all in B.
    Now when you run the batch file - archives in B are deleted, archives in A will be moved to B - since there are no archives in A - TI will default to a full BU next time it runs.

I do this about every 3 weeks (I do not BU every day - and use differential BU), and always have several weeks of archive to choose from - never filling a 30 gig partition (partition is OS and several large apps - about 14 gigs worth of goodies).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.