Advanced Heuristics and PUPs

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by yongsua, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Hi,may I know will my computer performance really affected if I enable "Advanced Heuristics" and "Potentially unwanted programs" or potentially unsafe program"?

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Looking at your signature you've got a reasonably low spec netbook, and quite a lot of security software, so you could find some impact. But the real answer is...just try it.

Jim

3. yongsua

But I only have ESET and sandboxie run as real time.Besides,I excluded all other security software from ESET exclusion list.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just try and see. If you notice a significant impact on performance now or in the future (depending on what files are scanned, ie. what applications are install or what files are copied to the disk), you can disable those options at any time.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

PUPS or Potentially Unwanted Applications explained. As Jim was saying, a Netbook may be slightly taxed at minimum system requirments to fully run EAV V4.

Explain under which situation you would wish to employ advanced heuristics as they are enabled by default under most modules.

6. yongsua

But when I checked my "ThreatSense engine parameter setup" my "advanced heuristic" was off and now I want to turn it on.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

That is off by default and should not be used, as I already indicated, is too taxing on system performance, you may, as you wish, though, it is not a default setting. Export your settings, prior to doing any of these experiments so that you may revert back to a default scenario without having to do an entire reinstallation.

8. yongsua

Thanks to siljaline,Marcos and Jimwillsher.I decided to enable "advanced heuristic"only which is very important and I think I don't need to enable PUPs detection.Thanks and Regard.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  9. yongsua

I don't have any issue about my pc performance but my physical memory(MB)is not free anymore and very busy but still remain low RAM and CPU usage as usual.No change except for physical memory.

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I think Advanced Heuristics are enabled for new and modified files by default anyway, no sense in scanning them all with AH.

11. yongsua

Ya.you are right.I remember the AH enabled for start up scan and removable media only in default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.