Advanced heuristic

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mrtwolman, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

I did a test on my collection with Advanced Heuristic. It detected 1547 various worms of about 3000 in my collection...
    imho quit impressive....
    List of worms detected by AH available upon request.

2. Barney

Barney Registered Member

How is that impressive, that's only a 51.6% detection rate. Run KAV or DRWEB, you'll get a 99.9%....I GUARANTEE it.

3. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    Why you send the worm not detected to ESET?
    samples@eset.com
    Regards

4. dos

dos Registered Member

Are you scanning using the definitions and heuristic's engine, or just the heuristic's engine?

If its the former I'd be very surprised NOD32 didn't pick up more, if its the latter then I'm very surprised at how good the engine is!

5. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Scanstring were off, i used heuristic engine only...

6. majstro

majstro Guest

You havent true. When will you scanning only by heuristics, not with signatures, you never get better results than with heuristics of NOD32 2.0.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Very impressive, then! NOD32 might be the best worm scanner out there.

8. JPM

JPM Registered Member

I have read though that to activate the advanced heuristic feature within NOD32 you have to use an undocumented switch. If this is true, and it was used during this test, then the results are maybe not the same as with the standard heuristic setting. Though I am not sure of what I read about the advanced heuristic feature.

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

From what little I've read, Advance Hueristic's can cause a lot of false positives...

My 2 cents worth :D

Cheers :D

10. reply

reply Guest

I was under the impression that Advanced Heuristics was a new feature for IMON in v2.

11. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

I use /ah only for an suspicious stuff which I scan manually.
    Even normal Heuritics cause trouble, like today I was installing Norton System Works 2004 and I got an warnning that one of the .dll's was an unknown crypto Virus. Where all it is, a dll required to encrypt the info in symantecs web password manager. THUS IF YOU ARE INSTALLING NORTON SYSTEM WORKS 2004 AND HAVE NOD32 SET ON HEURITICS BE WARNED THAT YOUR PASSWORD KEEPER WILL NOT BE SAFE SINCE NOD32 WILL REMOVE THE DLL REQUIRED TO ENCRYPT YOUR PASSWORDS. The info has been sent to NOD32 hopefully they will fix it soon or they will be a lot of customers unhappy with that (well takeing into consideration that those customers go with Nod32 and not Norton).

12. sig

sig Registered Member

Reply, it is. It's also available for the on demand NOD scanner if one runs it using /ah from the command line. Also, NOD Italy has a shell add on which provides the ability to scan an individual file using AH fom the explorer (right click) context menu.

13. reply

reply Guest

sig, thanks for the info! I didn't know about the commandline for other modules.

14. sig

sig Registered Member

The last I looked the official documentation for version 2 doesn't discuss Advanced Heuristics, so knowledge of this new feature for the on demand scanner has been propagated by "word of mouth" from other users or readers of this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.