Adstatus remote access trojan

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by AnthonyG, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Today when removing some software via add remove programs i saw a windows adstatus installed. I tried uninstalling it but it said this program has already been uninstalled and it said would you like to remove its name from the list.

Tonight when doing my weekly Full System scan with MSAS it has found this and said it is a trojan that sends my passwords to people.

I am now panicking in the extreme, what does this mean, how does it do it, what has it done.

I have today and yesterday logged onto paypal via firefox with my username and password. Is that now compromised. If so what else can be compromised.

I need some advice for this please.

Attached Files:

• adst.JPG
      adst.JPG
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

The file winstatcomm.dll is from ADW_ADSTAT.A see HERE

The main problem is this Trojan installs other Malware, don't panic though, it is un-lightly that your passwords etc have been compromised yet.

Removal recommendations

1. Remove the folder C:\Program Files\Windows AdStatus

2. Update an run your Antivirus

3. Download a second Antispyware program ( I reccomend Adaware, Spybot, CounterSpy or SpySweeper )

4. Configure the AntiSpyware program for a full scan, update and run.

Hopefully that will fix your problem, if not post back and we can try some more advanced options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.