Adobelmsvc Service

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by thegreatoutlaw, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegreatoutlaw

thegreatoutlaw Registered Member

Anyone familiar with this new service that adobe products come with? I've read thats its a licensing service that checks your hardware and makes sure you dont have pirated copies of there products then sends the serial and your ip back to them? I hate having any type of service like this that runs and sends information without your permission. I also found out that I have to have this service be able to run in order to use adobe products. Any ideas how I can get rid of this without messing up my adobe products? Or a way that I can block it with Windows Firewall?

2. boonie

boonie Registered Member

The Adobelmsvc is not new. It was released with Adobe CS2 back in '04. Here's an old Wilder's thread discussing it.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55697

The service I think you're referring to is FNPLicensingService.exe. It was created by Macrovision, and used by a number of high end programs, including several by Adobe (Acrobat 8, Photoshop). It does much the same thing as Adobelmsvc, checking your hardware to ensure your license is valid. As far as I know, if you disable the service it will be re-enabled. If you delete the files, well, I really can't say. I haven't done this, but I've read in various forums that they will either be recreated or your Adobe programs will not function. Here's a thread on the Adobe forum discussing it:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc3f586

and this:
    http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Ru...ce.exe_:_What_is_it_and_can_I_delete_it?.html

As far as my situation, FNPLicensingService.exe has never called out from my PC. At least my firewall has never reported it. I suppose it could be doing this while I check for updates using the Adobe updater service in which case my firewall would not flag FNP directly. I really can't say. The only time I see the service running is when I run either Acrobat 8 or Photoshop, and when I exit those programs, FNP terminates about 30 seconds later. Other than that I've never seen it running. I did, out of curiosity, block it with OA, and I was unable to launch Photoshop or Acrobat. Considering this, and the fact that it only runs when I run the Adobe programs, and that it only uses about 3 MB of memory, I leave it alone.

Hope this gives you some answers.

Edit: I checked the programs listed in the firewall section of OA, and FNP is not listed, only Acrobat.exe, Bridge.exe, and Adobeupdater.exe, so I don't think blocking it, if it is connecting, is possible. Anyway, that's the new service, you can Google for FNPLicensingService.exe and you'll find quite a few posts on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.