Adobe reader - the most secure pdf reader?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Barring Chrome's.

But there are currently no exploits that bypass the reader's sandbox, right? So isn't Adobe's Reader actually the most secure?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Maybe. IDK but I use it anyway. The patches keep on coming :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Don't know, don't care. In any case, I've got into the habit of viewing the few pdf files that I need to view off-line.

4. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

If you use Sandboxie, just enter your PDF reader under "Forced Programs" and you are good!

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

by that definition you can classify any other pdf reader. They are all safe and secure until found otherwise

7. Hungry Man

I don't know what other readers track records are/ what measures they've taken to secure themselves.

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I think that a product that bugs about updates as much as it does is either up to something or so bad on design it should't be used.

So, I don't.

Just an opinion, I like the idea of reading pdf's off line! Even better put them on a separate device and only connect when you have to.

9. Hungry Man

Everyone gets patches. I've come to realize that it really doesn't matter how few or many patches a program gets. Adobe could get a thousand and Foxit could get 1 but there's still enough vulnerabilities in Foxit to be exploited and I only see Adobe protecting the user further than patches.

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This article from Computer World is from last year. Maybe things have changed for the better for Adobe's PDF reader, but my initial reason for ditching it for PDF-XC was predominantly for performance reasons. I'm still pretty happy with PDF-XC (I use Google docs viewer as well).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  12. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

@acr1965

Yes, Drumlin PDF reader is very ''light'' and very similar to Sumatra PDF. Add to this the security that Drumlin has to offer. Sorry, I don't use Chrome so don't know what to say.

Here's two screenshots of both ''Javelin PDF Click and Go reader'' and ''Drumlin PDF reader'' :

http://i.imgur.com/rRsfm.png
    http://i.imgur.com/GAF40.png

13. guest

guest Guest

Adobe Reader probably is the most secure PDF Reader from a strictly technical aspect, as it is more scrutinized than the others; its popularity, and its many developers (huge Adobe company behind it) have to always come up with the latest and greatest exploitation techniques created/used by several different hackers/crackers.

However, my last paragraph obviously ignores security by obfuscation. Also, some other PDF Readers (Sumatra PDF comes to mind) have a considerable smaller exploitable landscape - lacking "important" features (to some people) as a natural consequence.

14. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I agree with you, Adobe Reader is most likely one of the most secure readers, but not the safest since it is targeted the most.

15. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

There are some configuration changes you can make to Adobe Reader to make it more secure than it is out of the box. I have always used Adobe Reader and never had a problem with it.

16. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i Read my Books on Ubuntu ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.