Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This will be funny in 5 years when we look back and wonder what happened to Adobe...

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow... pretty bold move, that's for sure.

4. paulescobar

paulescobar Registered Member

Yeesh! I'm still on CS5, and was thinking of upgrading soon.

Now, I'm absolutely confused.

Are they expecting me to pay for every month that I use their products?
    Or is the monthly subscription purely related to updates?

And most importantly, can I work off-line with the software?
    With capped residential internet speeds, I can't imagine many digital artists tolerating the slow upload/download speeds involved with "cloud" computing.

5. xxJackxx

You will pay for every month you want to use it. Just like you would pay for Netflix every month you watch it.

Can't answer the offline question. Since I am sure this is largely an anti-piracy move, I doubt you could use it long with contacting their servers.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

On 1 side, they are increasing their revenue stability and letting new users use their software legally on a monthly payment basis.

On another side, they are opening up doors for competitors and testing the loyalty of their customer base.

Seems like they've made their calculations and deem the risk worth it. Whether they are right or not is in the hands of the customers. It's gonna be interesting how this works out for Adobe in the long run.

7. paulescobar

paulescobar Registered Member

Wow. This amounts to a perpetual tax on our files.

In many cases, Adobe software is the only type that can properly edit certain file formats. They are now saying that without paying every month, we can no longer edit these files.

I am not worried now. Many advanced creative types, in certain mediums, are content to use one Creative-Suite edition for almost a decade. In that context, paying a "one-time fee" for the suite (or its individual components) made sense.

My worry comes in the future, as the abilities of the file formats exceed those of the stand-alone CS6 software. Then, we will all be locked into Adobe's perpetual extortion scheme.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Piracy will soar exponentially for doing something that they think will prevent it.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i've switched to GIMP and Inkscape.

no monthly subscriptions there. ;)

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I think of this as less of an anti-piracy move and more of a "locking in" strategy, along with a "we're not sure you're giving us enough for our products" move. Granted this indeed will be interesting from a pirate perspective.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

As good as GIMP is though, it just can't hold up when working with massive, complex projects in the design industry.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

On the surface, $50 a month sounds really high, that's $600 a year. But then again, I guess purchasing the software is pretty high too. I don't know what it was going for, but probably quite a bit. I wonder how this will all work in a corporate environment?

13. guest

guest Guest

I don't think it's gonna work in the long run, except for professional industries. But still though, it's way too expensive. I don't think it will please home users. I mean seriously...

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Agreed, I doubt many home users will be willing to fork out $50 a month for it.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

16. Wild Hunter

I'm not against the model but I think the prices need to be reduced significantly.

17. guest

guest Guest

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Monthly is more flexible, allows someone to drop out whenever they want to, if they want to...

19. Wild Hunter

20. guest

guest Guest

Couldn't the users try the trial version? Oh yeah, crippled trialware. :D

Bet they'll lose some market-share if they did that, if their customers haven't raised their torches and pitchforks as an extra. :D

21. Wild Hunter

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It was well over a grand per box from CS 5 on back.

23. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This move effectively puts Adobe in full control over the price of CS. When you buy a standalone product, you will be able to use it as long as you want. However, for a subscription based software, things can quickly go wrong for the user; Adobe can decide anytime they want to increase the subscription plan prices! If you want to continue to use their product, you are forced to pay up the next month. For a standalone product, you have a larger time margin to decide if you want to upgrade or not to a newer (and maybe more expensive) version of the software.

24. xxJackxx

..or if they don't. Office 365 is moving in the same direction. Someday everything you use will be accessed by subscription. Lose your job? Too bad, you can't access your stuff because you couldn't afford the bill. Need to send someone your resume for another job? Too bad, it's in the account you couldn't afford to pay for. Can't afford it for a couple of billing cycles? Too bad, they are permanently deleting all of your stuff. :thumbd:

25. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Nicely spotted, xxJackxx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.