Adobe Flash Player v11.4.402.278

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Jack, I'm with you bros. Adobe's a prime example of everything you don't want in software. I finally dumped Flash non-AX and haven't regretted it for a second. If something requires it, then I guess I'll have to do without it. I kept AX only because GOM Player needs it, otherwise it'd be gone too. :)

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Don't blame you one bit. After the (most recent) Java vulnerability was posted on this board, I decided to remove Java entirely and have yet to encounter a situation where I needed it. At about the same time, I got rid of Silverlight and, thus far, I'm not missing that plugin either.

Currently, I have only 2 plugins in Firefox; PDF-XChange Viewer and Flash (and I'm seriously considering getting rid of the latter). If I ever do need Flash, I figure I can just fire up my portable version of Chrome and use its built-in Pepper Flash.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I think Adobe's done a really good job with Flash actually. Every since 10.X they've been improving it a ton. Performance has improved a hundred fold compared to 9.X and it's sandboxed for every major browser.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

you don't need Flash on Youtube but unfortunately not everybody is using HTML5 yet.

5. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Sadly I had to disable the protected mode on firefox, it was unusable whenever the mouse was hovered over any flash video, the video would reduce to 1fps and the browser would also become unresponsive. The net is littered with complaints, and the fix either downgrade flash (very bad idea) or disable protected mode, the latter I did.

Also everytime flash updated I always googled for a offline installer which was annoying but better than using the official downloader, I was never aware of the ditribution3 page before and that certianly will make things easier in future thanks.

Flash does have an internal updater in that when it discovers a new version it will update itself without needing to download a new installer but its implemented very badly. From what I can see it only ever runs on bootup meaning if you run the pc for weeks on end with no reboots it will never prompt you (I only reboot on monthly win updates usually) and also if 2 version sof flash for installed such as in my case the IE version and the other browsers version then it will never ever prompt for both on the same bootup, so would need to do 2 reboots for it to pickup on both, its designed very badly.

I also hate java and its many updates, java even keeps old versions installed, the issue I need java tho sadly for work stuff as nearly all KVM business apps are java based.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.