Adobe Flash 11 final with Linux support

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk2Mg

The great news about Adobe Flash Player 11 is the mainline 64-bit support. The x86_64 Flash binary is finally in-sync with the 32-bit version for all supported platforms. This is one of the best parts about Flash 11 after Adobe's 64-bit support has been neglected for years.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

3. linuxforall

Hopefuly GPU acceleration would be properly incorporated in HTML 5, I have been using HTML5 from the early days of its inception as a youtube opt in but for ATI there is no GPU acceleration implemented yet.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Just got the new version via Ubuntu SC's update of Chrome stable.

5. linuxforall

Does Chrome come with flash? I do the old fashioned way of copying libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozila/plugin

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, Chrome (but not Chromium) comes with a specially adapted Flash player. We don't have to do anything extra to get it.

I have this in my software sources:
    http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

7. linuxforall

Are you using x64 distro? If so is that a x64 version?

8. tlu

tlu Guest

A more comfortable solution is the Flash-Aid extension. There is also this ppa for the 64bit version but it's not yet updated while the extension performs a daily check of the Adobe download site. (Note: Flash-Aid with the AppArmor FF profile set to enforce doesn't work. You either need additional rules or you export the update script to the console.)

9. linuxforall

The version in the ppa is same as the final release, also flash aid downloads the beta version and not final.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Nope, 32-bit all the way.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

They pushed out ver. 11 for Firefox (and other browsers?) a while ago.

A lot of people have been helped by the FlashAid add-on Tlu referred to but I haven't yet had need to use it.

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

linuxforall,
    Re-adding the sevenmachines ppa after having used the 32 bit plugin on 64 bit OS for a while, I noted two things.
    1. It is the xxx.129 old alpha version ( latest = xxx.152 )
    2. Install will fail because adobe have probably removed the link to Labs, seeing that 64 bit is now mainline.

Further confusion. In Synaptic, besides the flash plugin installer package, there is an adobe-flashplugin package designated 11.0.1.152 but with description 'Flash Player plugin version 10'
    Any ideas ?

Edit: just installed the adobe-flashplugin package mentioned above viz. 11.0.1.152 it is version 11 and works fine. From canonical but how to check whether it's perhaps 64 bit ?
    Looks like whatever scenario, the flash plugin installer package can be ignored in favour of the above.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  13. tlu

tlu Guest

As Ocky already said, the ppa contains the xx.129 beta whereas Flash-Aid installed the xxx.152 version (although it mentions only the Beta in its GUI).

14. tlu

tlu Guest

I guess it's simply a typo. Not only adobe-flashplugin but also adobe-flash-properties-kde and adobe-flash-properties-gtk point to xxx.152.

15. tlu

tlu Guest

As it doesn't require ia32-libs anymore it should be 64bit.

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thank you, tlu. :thumb:

17. linuxforall

If it didnt need 1a-32 libs, its true blue x64.

Confirmed, its true blue x64.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I was hoping adobe wasnt going to bother releasing a 64bit browser plugin. I hope companies are starting to upgrade their sites to HTML5 and ditch flash. flash and java are the only browser plugins i use. flash player crashes browsers far to often so I cant wait to see it disappear.

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Well you're going to have to wait. HTML5 isn't going to be getting rid of Flash.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not yet. It will eventually, but again, too many people are predicting things to happen way too quickly. You don't just hit a toggle on a wall to convert your website from Flash to HTML5. Full on adoption is at the very least 15 years away..lest we forget there is this little thing called the W3C. For the near future, users are going to have to deal with who supports what parts of the specification. As we've seen, different browsers are supporting different parts. As long as that is going on, HTML5 is not going to go too far.

Flash has been an accepted technology for years now, and is so widespread that even if HTML5 was standardized today, it would still likely take years for it to replace Flash. You can't just grab a handful of already converted websites off of Google and claim it's here, it doesn't work that way. The number of HTML5 websites out there now is nothing but a single drop of water into an ocean. It's coming, and it will bring many benefits (and problems), but it's nowhere near here yet.

21. Hungry Man

It won't ever get rid of Flash. I should have been more clear.

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

64bit Flash allows the use of 64 bit browsers for the general population..that is why it was released. It was one of the biggest things (really if not the only) holding back 64 bit browsing. Now vendors have no excuse for not making their browsers in 64 bit flavors as well. Imho, it never should have taken this long.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I disagree. But, I wonder if perhaps like the Java discussion, you are referring to Flash in other applications besides the normal use for Flash, which is as a plugin. I believe you're quite wrong on the plugin issue, but perhaps right in that Flash will still be used for other purposes. It's my opinion that both it and Java will eventually be cast aside, but I don't have a Delorean nor a flux capacitor, so it remains an opinion.

24. Hungry Man

HTML5 came out 13 years after HTML4. HTML6 is not on its way any time soon. Flash will improve and HTML5 will stagnate as browsers try desperately just to agree on a standard for it.

Not only that but the two accomplish different things. Yes, you can do what Flash does with HTML5 but it's really not as simple as just translating the code.

Not only that but things like Hulu won't go for it. They're proprietary and will continue to use Flash.

I like HTML5, I prefer HTML5, but HTML5 is not going to accomplish was Flash has.

25. Hungry Man

As for Java... as a plugin, perhaps. As a language, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.