Adobe Acrobat question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kathyhl, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Hi, and happy holidays to everyone. I have a question, not sure the appropriate place for this topic, so please move it if it's here in error. I'm running Win98SE, my e-mail client is Incredimail. Every night I receive a dispatch from my husbands work for the next day. Adobe has never had a problem opening it, but this morning it gave me two errors. I was only running 5.0, so I went in and upgraded to 6.0.2, re-booted, and got rid of one error, but still have one, which says "unrecognized token 1923W5". I went in and registered at Adobe so I could use their forum. I believe I have posted twice in there now, but as it's different than most forums I've been in, I'm not sure I did it right, but I DO see my posts. That was quite awhile ago and I have received nothing. The dispatch sitting in my e-mail client is really needed, so I decided to come in here and see if anyone else has ever had this similar problem, and could maybe help me in a course of action.

Thank you so much for your time.

Kathy

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Kathyhl,

Have you tried this?

Blue

3. Kathyhl

Thank you SO much Blue! I don't know how you found that information so fast, I still haven't heard from Adobe reader, and normally my Copernic Agent is really good in helping me search for information, but this time it came up with absolutely nothing. I had found an old dispatch in my e-mail, which Adobe was able to open, so I assumed the problem must have been on the senders end, but after talking with my husband, no one else had a problem with receiving the dispatch, so that seemed to put it back in my court. From what I get reading the site you gave me, now the more likely assumption is that in fact the problem may well have occured in the transfer, or from the senders end, but then that begs the question, why were we the only ones to have the problem? I may not ever know that answer. Now I can only wait until Monday, when we once again should get a dispatch and see what happens. My husbands company is converting over to another company, and I'm assuming (and maybe wrongly) that there will be an entirely new computer system, and I have just seen one of the bugs. Sorry for such a long rambling response to yours, but I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on, and your answer to my question has shed so much light on it.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Kathy :D

4. BlueZannetti

The other difference between you and other recipients could be the mail client or system processes which interact with the mail client (say - AV scanner for e-mail). I wouldn't expect this to be an issue for a pure attachment, but it's always best to consider all bases. I'd check both the client and any associated scanner.

If your ISP has a web client capability for e-mail, try a direct save of the pdf from the web client if possible. It doesn't fix the problem long term, but it may yield a short term fix and some insight on where problems are creeping in.

Finally, at least on my work laptop, I occasionally have locks when I perform a direct launch from of a pdf from within the mail client (Lotus Notes), whereas a simple detach/save, and then open from within a running instance of Reader or full Acrobat works fine. That's the other thing you could try - mix up the elementary steps to get to the opened document. Do it through a different set of primitive operations. By all rights it shouldn't matter, but occassionally it seems to.

Blue

5. Kathyhl

I just sent the e-mail that I couldn't open to myself, then went directly into my e-mail within Comcast and tried to open it there, with the same results, it couldn't open do to unrecognized token. My AV scanner and e-mail client had no problem reading last weeks dispatch from the same sender yesterday. It appears no matter how I want to try and look at this specific e-mail, ultimately Acrobat has to open it, and at that point, it fails. If there's another way to look at it minus Acrobat, I've never tried it, so am very illiterate when it comes to that.

Thanks Blue,

Kathy

6. BlueZannetti

Well, either that attachment is a little munged or Acrobat is a little flaky. As always, especially for something like Acrobat, when you've hit the end of reasonable minor options, try a full uninstall/reboot/reinstall and see if it has any impact.

Blue

7. Kathyhl

Thanks so much Blue. I want to assume this problem is isolated, so at this point I'm going to treat it as such, only because Acrobat continually reads a prior dispatch with no problems. I have a new dispatch coming in Monday evening, so with baited breath I wait for that one ;).

If at that time no one else has problems but I still do, I will do an uninstall and re-install of Acrobat.

Again, thanks for your time and help.

Kathy

8. BlueZannetti

My pleasure. Post back if the problem continues and we'll see what can be turned up.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.