admuncher

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Infinity, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

Thanx for the input Devinco, it's much appreciated :)

It's too bad AdMuncher isn't free, it really is a nice little program. I also like AdsGone, but of course, that isn't free either :rolleyes: Oh well, what can you do? ;)

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Well, if you are more adventurous, you could try a new web browser Firefox and the AdBlock plugin. They are both free and work very well for blocking ads. Adblock is harder to setup than Admuncher, but easier than Proxomitron (my opinion).

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Proxomitron is the best. (In my opinion) I do use Adblock with Firefox also. Can't be too careful these days. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  4. Devinco

Absolutely, Proxomitron is also free and certainly the most configurable. It is more complicated to set up though. I hope to be going that way in the near future.....one step at a time.

5. mismis29

Thanx for the suggestions :)

Why is Proxomitron more complicated to setup than other ad blocking programs? Would it be too dificult for a newbie such as myself?

Also, if I were to use two different programs, do you think they would conflict? Then again, if I had one that did everything, I guess I wouldn't need two ;)

6. Devinco

From what I have read, it will be about equivalent to properly configuring a rules based firewall (maybe a little more or a little less). That is the general impression I get.
    It is much more than merely an ad blocker. It is a local HTTP web-filtering proxy which can alter any web page you view in just about anyway you want, including blocking the ads. But this power and flexibility requires a steeper learning curve. There are some pre-made filter sets out there written by some great people that can jump start the process, but it still seems a little complex (to me) right now. Who knows, once you get the hang of it, it might be easy. Or like setting up a rules based firewall, quite difficult at first, but low maintenance once setup.

Judge for yourself.

Here is the home page
    Here is the introduction (note the title)
    Here is the Help Contents
    and Blocklist creation

You should only need one ad blocker AFAIK. With two, you will be double filtering.

Whatever you decide, Admuncher, AdBlock, or Proxomitron, I wish you an ad free future! :)

7. mismis29

Well, I checked out the links for Proxomitron and it seems quite similar to AdMuncher. I'm really not versed in all that crazy language, so it's a little difficult for me to use those types of programs. I guess I'll go on a search for something a little more simplified until I learn the ins and outs of computer mumbo-jumbo ;)

Thanx for your help :D

8. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Me too mismis29, have to bring in the Clear English Campaigners. :D

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. Ruffian

Ruffian Guest

Really does Admuncher nowdays give you the flexibility of Proxomitron
    in terms of filtering headers, web pages? That's amazing!

11. mismis29

Thanx for the link ronjor! It's much appreciated.

Those products look like they'd be good; I'll probably give them a try :) If you run across anything else that you feel would be good, I'd be more than greatful.

Thanx again :)

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

With SP2 killing my AdShield, I'm trialing this Ad Muncher; so far I must admit, I am rather awed by this program. One question: I use ZoneAlarm Free, besides Access rights must I also allow Ad Muncher Server rights? Thank you, so far very impressed with this program, even more so than AdShield and THAT'S saying something because I loved that program, using it for 3-4 years.

Acadia

13. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I initially posted about Admuncher on August 18th. I now can't imagine browsing without it.

14. luv2bsecure

Hi Acadia!

From Admuncher FAQ:

Q: Why does my firewall say Ad Muncher is making "server" and outbound connections?

A: This is just how Ad Muncher filters your browser's transfers; when your browser tries to connect to a web server, it is instead connected to the local Ad Muncher program (hence why it is creating a listening ("server") connection). Ad Muncher then connects out to the original target of the browser, which accounts for the outbound connections. These connections are perfectly normal and no cause for concern; the listening sockets are of no use to anyone except the programs on your computer trying to connect out.

15. polpol668

polpol668 Guest

AdMuncher also has a online check on their server for legit (or not) serials.
    In others words : it call home even if you set it to not check for new version.

16. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

No problem runnind Admuncher without server rights.

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I feel exactly the same, it's the only one which is equally good at removing ads and popups, without slipups. And also nice features like ip-scrampling. Money well spent. :)

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Wow, I've been playing with it now for a couple of hours and I've come to the conclusion that this is one of the few handful of softwares that is truly worth every penny that I've spent on it (yeah, I'm no longer just trialing).

I guess my question is this: Of all the Admuncher users out there, how many of you allow it Server rights and how many do not? According to the website, if I am understanding things correctly, Server rights SHOULD be allowed. Does it still work if such rights are not allowed? Does it really matter?

The power of this program is awesome, don't know why I waited so long to try it, thanks.

Acadia

19. luv2bsecure

I wonder the same thing. Anybody out there using Admuncher know how it works with server rights not allowed?

I agree about this program, Acadia. The power of this piece of software is quite remarkable. I cannot believe what a difference it makes in going to certain ad-intensive sites. It makes every other ad-blocker and pop-up blocker look like old technology. I would have paid twice what I did for the program.

Have you used the IP Scramble yet? It is very nice in its simplicity.

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, I have not gotten that far yet, is it recommended, what are the advantages of using IP Scramble?

Acadia

21. luv2bsecure

Couple of other things.....(sorry)

I go to CNN a lot and it had always driven me crazy when that scripting error/warning always popped up. Under "options/filtering/browser behavior" you can tick a "Prevent script error warnings" box and - I haven't seen that CNN annoyance again.

Also, when an ad is removed it says "admunched" or any other preferred phrase. I went in and made that blank under "options/filtering/advert treatment" and now, it's even more transparent.

Sorry for so many posts - I just have loved this program.

22. luv2bsecure

Not for use all the time, but it is a very easy and quick way to anonymize your browsing using real-time tested proxies. Point and click simplicity. Nice little feature!

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, I've done that much too ... and by the way, there is no need to apologize, I am eager for any other suggestions you or anyone else may have, I am only a couple of hours old with this program ... :)

Acadia

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already use the Ad Muncher about more than 1 year and I can't leave without it!

I browse without the annoying popups, stupid ad's, script dialog errors, and didn't notice any breaks on my connection speed... ;)

A must have...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.