Admucher vs Adblock Plus

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mattdocs12345, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

This is A vs B kind of discussion. I would like to know in details which one is better. What are the advantages of Admucher over ABP and what would justify paying for Admuncher over using the free adblocker. Also in what ways is ABP better than Admuncher if any.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Adblock Plus
    + Can block ads in https
    + Free
    + Many source of filters
    + Effective default filter subscription (Easylist)
    - Acceptable Ads
    - Requires every browser you use to have the extension installed (Good thing every major browser is now supported)

Admuncher
    + Effective blocking
    + Automatically block ads for all browsers
    - Costly
    - Can't block ads in https website

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

AdMuncher is too expensive for what it is, ABP is free. ABP is open source, AdMuncher I don't believe is (could be wrong) Neither offer decent support via their forums. ABP can handle Https, Admuncher, still, cannot. ABP is constantly being updated, version 5 of Admuncher has reached Duke Nukem-levels of waiting for its release. It's literally been years now. AdMuncher is nowhere near as aggressive and therefore prone to screwing up websites than ABP is. I believe that to be because there is far more testing done on potential entries in a list than there is with "The user wants it, throw it in there"-ABP.

AdMuncher works very well with all browsers, ABP, supported or not, does not. ABP has to rely on browser permissions and features to get the job done where AdMuncher does its job at levels below that. ABP can be paid to let ads through, AdMuncher I don't believe has gone down that road yet.

AdFender is like a free AdMuncher, but last I looked at it I don't think it can handle Https connections and blocking items it misses is a bit difficult. It uses the same lists that ABP does, though I'm not sure if it is limited to certain ones or how easy it is to add any extra lists (I used it on default settings for a trial run).

5. anon

anon Registered Member

:eek: free AdMuncher?

Most probably you mean Ad Muncher Basic = $19.95/year
    https://www.admuncher.com/register.shtml?Partner=gotd.admuncher.com

------------------------

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

No, I mean it acts like a free AdMuncher in some ways, not that AdMuncher has a free version..which would quite honestly gain it much more attention.

7. guest

guest Guest

Try Adblock Edge

Did use admucher for years until he refuse to see a defect and tried to blame it on the browser, that sent me to Adblock Edge, actually did me a favor, worked just as good if not better and can block anything you personally want to block with element hide-er:thumb:

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I emailed them a few days ago asking if they are adding support for https connection. They said it's on the list but will not make it in the next release.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, stuff just keeps getting pushed further and further back. Unfortunately that isn't a good way to get people and keep them. Ads, and therefore tracking has become pretty common over secure connections and not being able to handle that is a problem.

10. DX2

DX2 Guest

Adblock for me, i don't get any popups at all..

11. anon

anon Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

12. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Agreed, I've made the switch and it was well worth it. Browser performance has jumped way, way, way, way, way, up. I can't explain it and some of the more persistent advertisements that I have been fighting with such AdChoice are suddenly gone.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

Where? On IE?
    AdMucher / Adblock Plus / AdFender work with IE.

14. Techwiz

The author's signature lists: Firefox, which is why we both recommended Adblock Edge. Obviously this wouldn't apply to an IE user, so you have three choices: use the suggestions you provide, switch browsers, or see if someone else knows of additional options. Unfortunately, I don't use desktop ad-blockers since my firewall is more than sufficient. I don't get ads in panda cloud free or in any of the other free software that I have installed.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Panda cloud free AV / Panda Security Toolbar works like adblocker?

16. Techwiz

No, I mentioned panda cloud free AV because normally there are advertisements in the control center. For whatever reason, my firewall rule set blocks these. I'm not even sure a desktop applications would be capable of performing this function, since I have never used one.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

Which control center?

I suppose that here we are talking about Ad filtering

18. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Yup, well said.

19. Techwiz

The control center (settings) for my anti-virus.

20. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

admuncher sadly for how good it was/is in the past does slow down browing noticebly.

it is reasonably powerful tho and can do some good things with its advanced configuration but I havent used it for a while as is better options out there.

21. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Ad Muncher should NOT be slowing down your browsing at all.

it's an order of magnitude or two faster than anything else.

22. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

If I am not mistaken this thread violates the forum TOS. I am surprised that the mods are letting this thread continue...

23. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I guess the Mods will be the judge of that :D

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I think it would have been closed if the OP asked "what is the best AV Bitdefender or Avast" But this discussion is not anywhere near being like that. (it's not even about AVs actually) It's more about how these programs are different and so forth. :)

25. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

If this thread does not break TOS of the forum then I would like to say that AdMuncher is hands down the best Ad-Blocking software on the market even without the https support.
    The problem with browser based addon like adbloock plus and Adblock edge is that they start leaking memory when you have lots of tabs open and you have to close the browser every 12 hrs or so and start all over again,not an option for those who have 100+ tabs open on multiple browsers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.