Admin Nod32 Mirror Config File Update?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Dakhor, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

In the admin version of Nod32 there is a setting in the Mirror setup wich claims " Configuration files can be used to configure client workstations with preffered predefined settings "

What does this mean? Cuz when i change something in the configuration file that ive choosen in this setting the workstations do not update. Does this mean its used for remote installations only?

That would mean i have to run arround to every workstation as soon as there are new settings to tweak or do a remote re-install ( if i had the RA version )

Im guessing something is just not working correctly here...

/DaK/

2. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi Dakhor:

The configuration changes have worked flawlessly for me on hundreds of installations. As long as the circles are blue (and not gray) and the file is saved, it should work without a hitch.

As soon as the workstations query the update server (either automatically or manually), the changes should take effect.

What type of change are you attempting to initiate?

3. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Well basically a win98 machine on the network dosnt update its config.xml file.

Its nothing major for its in the other room - but im looking into the possibility to have some of my staff to be able to work from home with laptops.

So ive set the computers in the office to update through \\server\mirror and im thinking on having the mobile laptops update through http. This way i can block the 8081 port and try a component update in the office prior to rolling it out to the laptops.

Its a quite small buissness so RA version isnt really what i need - besides i do this more from a learning point of view.

But if ur saying it should work, then its prob somehting with my win98 can. Always something ****s up with win98-winxp network. Atleast for me...

/DaK/

4. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

But ur saying that it should work if I for instance set AH to Yes on the mirror config file and then the next time a workstation connects to the server it should update its own config file and set AH to YES?

note: the config file isnt the one in the mirror folder but someplace else but it is marked in the mirror settings as the config file used for all operating systems.

This is how i figured it should work - but it dosnt...

/DaK/

5. rumpstah

Hi Dakhor:

How do the clients know from where to obtain the .xml file if they are in a location different from the update files?

I believe the intent was to be able to "manage" different configuration files while only using 1 file at a time (the one in the mirror folder). Then one can save the configuration file to the mirror folder and have that one as the current.

This may help.

From the manual:

The XML configuration file (eg config.xml) manages NOD32 client configurations. It can be created and managed via the NOD32 Configuration Editor, which is available via the NOD32 version 2 Administrator install. It is strongly recommended that this file be saved on the same server as the “NOD32” directory as created in 1.1.

6. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Sorry i wasnt beeing clear enough -- the xml config file that I have chosen in the mirror settings to be used for all operating systems is located in "\\SERVERNAME\nod32" wich is one folder up from "\\SERVERNAME\nod32\mirror"

I somehow got the idea that one should not mess arround with the xml files in the folders "\\SERVERNAME\nod32\mirror" and "\\SERVERNAME\nod32\9x" and "\\SERVERNAME\nod32\nt" but create a new one.

And it works just fine when i install it on the win98 with “\\SERVERNAME\NOD32\NT\setup.exe /silentmode /reboot /cfg=\\SERVERNAME\NOD32\config.xml”

I thought that was what u did when u specify which config file to use in the mirror settings on the Admin version of nod32

/DaK/

7. rumpstah

Hi Dakhor:

The .xml file in the mirror folder should be deleted. I believe it will always override your settings in the mirror if this file exists.

8. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Well i checked and the .xml file in the mirror folder is infact the same as ( or a mirror of ) the .xml file you browse to or select in the mirror settings on the admin version of nod32.

/DaK/

9. rumpstah

Do any other .xml files exist in the mirror directory? I had an NODC328.xml file existing on a server that confused the update clients (until I deleted it).

10. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Alright im getting a bit confused... I checked what the .xml file was in the mirror folder and saw that it was a copy of the config file i have edited and selected in the mirrir options. After i did that suddenly my workstations have updated their config settins to that of the mirror .xml.

Maybe its cuz i installed the beta awhile back or something. I suspect that there is a problem with the updating from the .xml file specified in the settins to the copy of it in the mirror folder. ( i had this problem prior to the installation of the beta - just to clarify )

So i will simply update it manually, or keep the original .xml in the mirror folder instead - problem should be solved.

Thanx for helping me rumpstah!

/DaK/

11. rumpstah

You are welcome. Glad it is working. ;)

12. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

OK, time for me to throw a few things in here as well. The XML file in your mirror folder is created when the mirror files are updated by the Admin console, so if you delete it you're shooting yourself in the foot. My guess is that the main reason that your clients aren't/weren't updating is that maybe you weren't changing the ID number? If you're editing an existing file, you need to click Edit / Configuration ID / Generate New to inform the clients that a change has been made. Once that's done, you just save it , then update the mirror files. You should see the XML file in the mirror directory change to match the one that you just edited.

On a side note, it's been discussed and pretty much agreed that the \\server\share method of updating isn't nearly as convenient as mirroring via http.

My three cents (two cents adjusted for inflation) :D

Jack

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  13. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Hahaha -- i was wondering about the id number while i was messing arround in the settings of the config file editor a few days ago -- there was no mention of that in the manual. And yes im planning on updating via Http mostly --

It makes sense why it didnt work now...

Thanx Jack

/DaK/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.