Adjust thumbnail quality in Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Anyone know if there's a way to adjust the quality of thumbnails in Vista? You can do it in XP by tweaking the registry or with TweakUI, but so far I haven't found a way that works with Vista. o_O

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. allizomeniz

Cudni, I tried that but it had no effect in Vista. I've got TweakUI installed on Vista. I unpacked it with 7-Zip and run it as portable. Sometimes its settings work in Vista but other times not. When I used it to adjust the thumbnail size and quality in Vista, it created two registry values, ThumbnailQuality and ThumbnailSize, and when I change the settings in TweakUI, the registry data changes accordingly, but it has no effect on the thumbnails.

I deleted my thumbnail cache, then entered new data in the registry at the lowest setting and restarted. Then I regenerated all my thumbs, but the quality and size were the same, and the resultant thumbnail cache was the same size as before.

Vista's thumbnails are kinda weird. If I generate all my thumbs using the "Extra Large Icons" view setting, the resultant thumbnail cache is about half the size as when I use "Large Icons." Go figure.:D

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

a possible solution would be to use another file manager instead of Windows Explorer.

5. allizomeniz

Thanks for the advice moontan, I'll file it away for future use. For now I found a workaround by using "List View" instead of "Icons" most of the time. I'm used to having thumbs, but I'm finding ways to get around it, like managing thumbs inside applications that don't save large cache files. :)

6. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

You can use Icaros or Media Preview:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Icaros
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Media-Preview

I, myself use Icaros for mp4,m4v (Microsoft thumbnailer in options) and Media Preview for all the others. Also you can clean the thumbcache, restart your computer, add any external HDDs you have for videos and then fill up the thumbnail cache in Media Preview. It would take some time but its worth it. Also you can add additional extensions in Media Preview (I've added .dat and .wtv).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.