Additional Restore Points

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimrx4, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimrx4

jimrx4 Registered Member

I posted a message on lost restore points when restoring images using TI 11. I also read a post that said this didn't happen when using TI 10. I can now verify that. Restore points in Vista are maintained when using TI 10. ATI support, what's going on here and when will this error be corrected?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

That would seem to confirm beyond reasonable doubt that TI Version 11 cannot adequately handle Vista system restore points whereas version 10 can.

My thoughts ,which I put forward some time ago, is that Version 11 users should be offered a free "downgrade" to version 10 as it works in many ways far better.
    I believe that Microsoft have offered a similar service to some unhappy Vista users.

Xpilot (once rid of V11 all is well with V10 again.)

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Sorry to inject reasonable doubt here, but that has not been my experience. Restoring a Vista image with TI 10 v4942 does indeed result in the loss of Vista System Restore points. I've done this several times with the same end result.

4. jimrx4

jimrx4 Registered Member

I did not experience that. Please examine my restore points in photo. The one pictured is with a restore of TI 10.
    Vista [TI-Restore].JPG

When a restore was done using TI 11 one would get the restore screen that showed the drive C folder and "missing" next to it. I manually had to delete that entry, again check the 1st drive C and then I would create a restore point.

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Agreed; that is this issue here, first reported by d.chatten, and is indeed a problem with TI 11 that was not present in TI 10.

However, I'm curious about your picture showing some restore points. At what date and time did you restore an image of your Vista partition using TI 10? Were the restore points shown in your picture created before or after image restoration?

6. jimrx4

jimrx4 Registered Member

Last night (3/10/200:cool: I uninstalled TI 11 (but kept that b/u as a separate file) then installed TI 10 and created a new test backup TI-10-TEST.tib. This morning 3/11/2008 I logged on the computer and installed the TI-10 Test image. What'd I do wrong?

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

You didn't do anything wrong. I'm just trying to understand the specifics here.

So you created the image TI-10-TEST.tib using TI 10 on 3/10/2008 and restored it on 3/11/2008, just before the picture shown in your post #4 was taken? So the picture is showing the available restore points after restoring the image? I just want to be certain here, so please forgive my restating what you've already said.

If so, your experience contradicts mine. When I've done this I find all of the restore points have been deleted. Are you using Vista Business or Ultimate? Do your shadow copy files (Previous Versions) also survive imaging? Mine don't.

8. SloPoke

SloPoke Registered Member

Microsoft has never offered downgrades to Windows Vista users. Vendors maybe, but not Microsoft. And they shouldn't.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

10. jimrx4

jimrx4 Registered Member

My response will probably be naivety on my part. Your assumption is correct. The restore points shown are after making and restoring the TI 10 backup. As to shadow copy - I'm sorry - I'm ignorant on that subject. And incidentally, I'm using Vista Ultimate - so if it's done automatically I guess the answe would be a qualified yes. Qualified because I'm kinda ignorant on the shadow copy subject.

Shadow copy or not -

Restores done in TI 11 - no restore points are shown (I believe "missing" is in the restore window when checking "system protection"),

Restores done in TI 10 - restore points are shown - re: pic in my previous post.

11. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

It would be interesting to check for "Previous Versions" to see if they survived imaging. Since you had created a restore point manually, and there were two more created when uninstalling/installing TI, and one during a Windows Update then you should have four "Previous Versions" or shadow copies available.

Could you try the following? Open the main Explorer view (Computer) and then right-click on your C: drive and choose "Restore previous versions". Do you see something similar to my picture below, or do you see "There are no previous versions available"?

Attached Files:

12. jimrx4

jimrx4 Registered Member

Just before going to work I checked the posts and in closing I'll add this picture - Image created with TI 10 on 3/10/2008. I'll read some more posts tomorrow.
    TI-10-Restore.JPG

13. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Thank you, Jim, for taking the time to reply. When you return to this tomorrow, could you fill in some details from your post #4 where you say "This morning 3/11/2008 I logged on the computer and installed the TI-10 Test image".

Please describe the restoration process. Did you reboot to the Acronis Rescue CD to restore or did you start the restoration from Windows? Did it take the normal amount of time to restore (10 - 15 minutes) or did it finish quickly? When you rebooted into Vista for the first time after restoring the image did you get a message about Windows being shut down improperly?

Again, thank you for your patience and willingness to answer questions and provide details.

14. jimrx4

jimrx4 Registered Member

Sure, no problem.I use "logged on" as a generic term. I turn my computer off at night. I meant I turned it on im the AM.

In my restoration process, I did as I usually do - start ATI from the desktop -> select Recovery -> get to "Reboot" and do that -> let ATI do its thing (usually takes 8 to 12 minutes - rarely if ever more (I forgot to mention that upon creation of a tib file, I ALWAYS validate) ->Windows Vista/U boots to what I call the DOS screen and I select "Start Windows (which is highlighted). I don't recall seeing "Windows shut down improperly" ;but if that's at the top of the screen (which it could be) I ignore it or don't notice it because the highlighted cursor is on "Start Windows normally" and I press "Enter."

15. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Jim:

Wow. I'm completely baffled.

You have presented convincing evidence that a TI 10 restore of your Vista partition resulted in the preservation of System Restore Points and Shadow Copy files. Your screen shots clearly show this. The description of how you restored your image makes sense; the restore took a normal amount of time and, at the end, you reboot to be presented with the startup screen and you choose "Start Windows Normally", which is evidence that the image was restored and that Windows detected an improper shutdown (since Windows was running when the image file was created and, when you reboot, it detects that something changed). The attached picture from the last time that I restored my Vista system partition shows how the Vista Reliability Monitor detects this as a disruptive shutdown.

Any time that I've restored a Vista partition I find that all of the restore points and shadow copy files get deleted, and I've done this 3 or 4 times so far. The only difference that I can see between our methods is that you start the image restore while running Vista, and I always reboot to the rescue CD to start a restore operation.

You have demonstrated that this process works for you and I have observed that it does not work for me. At this point I have no explanation for why this is. Perhaps someone else who has restored a Vista system with TI 10 can add their own observations to this thread. Anyone? Successful or not successful?

Attached Files:

16. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I thought the method for making restore points in Vista precluded any backup program from being able to actually preserve them. If Ati10 purports to preserve them, then they would be bogus pints that won't actually work if you try to use them. In that case, ATI11 would be an imporvement in that it doesn't mistakenly "profess" to have preserved Restore points that it cannot preserve.

Consider: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=202878&highlight=restore points

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Many thanks for choosing Acronis Backup Software.

Please be sure that our Development Team is already aware of the issue under investigation. They are doing their best to fix it as soon as possible. The issue will be resolved soon. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced.

Thank you.
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.