Additional AntiVirus Protection???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jpcummins, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

Yes additional security is needed, you need an on demand anti virus program.
    its up to you, there's nod32, norton and AVG. those were my favorite. they never fail me.

my security programs

AVG 8.0 Professional
    SUPERAntispyware 4.15.1000 Professional
    Spyware Blaster (for prevention)
    Add'l on demand scanner
    Spybot S&D

I feel very safe and secure with AVG 8.0 and SuperAntispyware.

2. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

3. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

as we know,
    two or more security products maybe have the issues between them,so please install a whole complete product and with a additional system tool to keep you safe suffer.

4. DarkButterfly

DarkButterfly Registered Member

Antivirus don't conflict by "nature". Why? They got no personallity, no willing.

Now, the deal is that the vendors programme their solutions so that they try to conflict with other solutions.

I have tested a few antivirus, and I can say that it is quite possible to have 2 antivirus installed, and depending on which ones you use, you also got to disable some features, so that they won't "conflict".

The first thing to do is set them up not to clean on detection, but rather to ask the user what to do.

Unless the second antivirus you install demands a reboot, then first deactive the first installed antivirus, by going to the start menu and execute "services.msc" (without the quotes), just in case.

I do know for experience that if you first install AVG 8.0 and then one other antivirus, you will be ok, unless the second one is a known trouble maker.

I have tested AVG 8.0 Pro with Sunbelt VIPRE. I didn't use all features from AVG, such as real time protection and linkscanner. Everything went smooth. I also did the other way. I deactivated VIPRE's protection and all went smooth as well.

I have tested NOD32 and Norton 2009 Beta, both with active protecion ON, and no conflicts of what so ever.

2 days ago, I tested NOD32 and Avira AntiVir Premium, and the system hung at the reboot. I had to reboot on safe mode and deactivate some services of avira's. I'm sure that the free version wouldn't give this problems, for it ofers fewer protection, therefore less resource usage, though.

And it all depends on the amount of processes that you got on your startup and on the amount of ram. But I tried NOD32 and Norton 2009 Beta on a Virtual Machine set with 800MB of RAM, along side with Comodo Boclean, Comodo Memory Firewall, Comodo Firewall Pro and Trend Micro RUbotted. No problems at all.

There are applications that demand more resource usage than antivirus. They don't cause any slowdowns.

Its all about the way they are programmed. If a vendor wants their product to be conflictuous, then it will be.

5. noway

noway Registered Member

For SAVCE v10, I've seen v10.1.7000 around. It can use a lot of memory and I have seen it do some strange (buggy***) things, which means I would not use it personally...although the detection rate might be ok enough to keep you safe (when the product is working the way it should be instead of acting buggy).

*like finding a virus in a folder but the parent folder is identified as clean...
    *like the tamper protection not doing it's job...
    *like getting so confused doing something that a minute or two can elapse before you are alerted to a virus under certain conditions...

So I wouldn't add to your antivirus, I would replace what you have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.