Adding rules from log entries

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by redman, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redman

redman Registered Member

I note that it seems to be possible to add a rule to allow something that has been blocked by clicking on the appropriate log entry, but is it possible to block something that has been allowed in the same way. For instance, before I purchased an upgrade to Copernic Agent, I used the free (ad-sponsored) version and to stop the ads, I found the appropriate entry in the Norton Firewall log and added a rule to block the ad-serving connections.

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

If something has been allowed by creating a specific rule, you just need to remove or to deactivate the rule. No need to create a new rule.

Frederic

3. redman

redman Registered Member

However, in the above example, if changed the Norton rule that allowed Copernic to access the Internet to instead block access by Copernic (in the case of LooknStop, that would presumably equate to changing the green circle to a red no entry sign), Copernic wouldn't have worked at all. So what I did was I examined the Norton Personal Firewall log to find where the ads were coming from and then added a rule under that application only to block connections to the remote server. I may be wrong, but I think that there is a way to do this with LooknStop but not directly from the firewall log as that only seems to allow rule creation from blocked connections (in my example, I would have wanted to add a rule to block an allowed connection, but only for a specific [Copernic] application).

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Associating Port with applications is only possible with the 2.05 and there is nothing automatic with the log (automation with the log applies only to Internet Filtering).

With the 2.05 what you can do is the following:
    - in the application filtering double-clic on the Copernic application
    - if you know the port the application has to use, just enter it and Ok
    - if you don't know the useful ports, select the !! attribute for the application, then the log will contain all information about ports and IP used by the application, and you can apply the previous step

Frederic

5. redman

redman Registered Member

Thanks Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.