Adding Recovery System to capsule

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by JamesE, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesE

JamesE Registered Member

Hello,

I am using Paragon Drive Backup 9.0

I have been able to create a capsule on an external 500GB Seagate USB hard drive. I was also able to add the Recovery System to the drive as well as place images in the capsule. On computer startup, I press F12, choose USB Device as the boot choice and the Paragon Recovery System loads. I am then able to do a system restore and load any image I have loaded on the capsule. Works perfectly. I noticed in previous threads that others were having problems with this and thought I would share this info.

My problem.

I have been trying to repeat the above procedures on a 16GB USB Flash/Thumb drive. I can create the capsule, however, I cannot add the Recovery System information. Without that, the Paragon launcher will not execute at startup. I use the Capsule Management wizard and choose "Change system recovery options". I then choose the option, "Allow to start recovery system from backup capsule", and I get an error message, "It's impossible to install system recovery environment on your system".

It appears that Paragon is unable to update the MBR on the flash drive. The "Hard Disk" menu option has "Update MBR" as an option, however it is greyed out.

Is there something I am missing? Is it not possible to update the MBR on a Flash/thumb drive?

This pretty much hosed my thumb drive. Paragon cannot delete the capsule and Windows doesn't even see it. Windows only sees the free space remaining as the total available space. Tried formatting, tried deleting, reducing size, everything in Paragon and nothing stuck.

Appreciate any assistance.

James

2. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

What is the brand and model of your thumb drive? Were you able to create an MBR on your thumb drive? Maybe there is no MBR present in your thumb drive. You see, the MBR is found at the front (lower sector number) of your first partition. Some usb flash drives has protected partitions that are located on the first part of the disk, thus making it difficult to create an mbr.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. JamesE

JamesE Registered Member

Problem solved.

Successfully installed a 37.5GB Image from a 16GB flash drive onto a workstation.

How I did it.

- Created Capsule on external 500GB USB Hard drive
    - Created image from secondary SATA drive and placed in Capsule on 500GB drive. Image size 37.5GB. Compressed 7GB
    - Created Capsule on external 16GB USB Flash drive
    - Set the first Partition to Active
    - Loaded the Recovery System onto the Capsule
    - Used Synthetic Backup to copy the Image from the 500GB capsule to the 16GB capsule

- Connected the 16GB flash drive to workstation with formatted SATA drive.
    - Started workstation and chose USB Device to boot from.
    - Recovery System started and I chose the image.
    - OS and all apps installed perfectly.

I love this product.

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.