Adding a Wireless Router to a Voyager 205

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Jimbob1989, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I have just gone to broadband with BT Yahoo who have provided me with a Voyager 205 ASDL Router. I connect to the family PC from this using an ethernet connection and this works fine. In order to provide additional broadband access to my my son's PC I wish to buy a Wireless Gateway router and Wireless PCI Network Adapter. The model I have in mind does not incorporate an ASDL modem and they specify that I need an ASDL modem which supports an ethernet connection. I presume that I can use this in conjunction with the Voyager 205 - however the slight doubt I have is that BT refer to the Voyager 205 as an ASDL router rather than an ASDL modem. Can anyone confirm that the Voyager 205 device will do the job? The router and adapter I have in mind is the Kcorp KLG-575 and KLG-530 respectively which have both just got excellent reviews in the December Computer Shopper.

Thanks

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

YOU HAVE A SON?? o_O

Cochise, :cool:

3. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    :D ROFL júst my thoughts: G(?)MTA, Cochise
    ;)

4. Jimbob1989

No, my dad was using my account, honest... :rolleyes:

Answer the question please?

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Bob's Dad,

Not wishing to sound negative and I would certainly help if I could but wouldn't the obvious answer be to ask BT Yahoo, if anyone will know, they will I'm sure..........

Cochise, :cool:

6. Jimbob1989

I asked Kcorp, they gave me a very standard reply saying they couldnt be sure. I have contacted BT but it takes a while to get a reply and I'm looking forward to getting internet in my room so I want to check its compatible and order it as quick as possible. Also as they had a good review in the magazine mentioned above, and the fact few companies sell the router, I want to order quick.

oh and my dad is actually called Bob, my name is Jimbob because my first name is James and my middle name is Robert.

Jimbob

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Since this topic is about routers, I've moved it from the TenForward section to the Other Firewalls forum.

Regards,

snap

8. Jimbob1989

I still dont have the answer I'm looking for after being potrayed as a teenage father.

Jimbob

9. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I don't like to sound negative here, but I had a Voyager 205 for precisely one day - until I found it's firewall failed every test I tried it on!

I tried the Sygate and PC Flank tests and found it left many ports unstealthed and some even completely open. Although it passed the service ports test in Shields Up, it interacted with my Zone Alarm and gave off Echo pings (ICMP test) and left all the ports around 7000 unstealthed.

If that wasn't bad enough it got so blazing hot it nearly took the veneer off my table top!

I sent the damn thing back by return - good riddance!

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Jimbob1989

Sounds like the Voyager 205 is both - modem and router. You shoud be able to add a Wireles Router/WAP to this. Configuration will depend on how many ethernet ports the Voager has. If it has just a single ehternet port, your access point would need to use that and everything else would connnect to the wireless device. Keep in mind if you get a wireless router you only need one device doing NAT and acting as the DHCP server (configure the wireless router as a WAP).

Regards,

CrazyM

11. controler

controler Guest

There are many good.wireless routers out there today.
    Mine happens to have 4 RJ45 outputs and a wireless.
    The catch with my Actiontec is that for wireless the card you buy for the gateway has to be an actiontec. which was like 43 bucks.
    Any of your other PC's however can use any brand.
    In my setup, I chose yo use those new cute little USB cards for my desktops.
    They are about the size of your little finger and work great.
    I am not sure about all router man's but You might be able to download the user manual for whichever router you are interested in and check the firewall features.

I forgot to mention something. Do you have to use the routher they sent you at all for some reason? If possiable I would just use another in it's place if I was not happy with their built in firewall.

Bruce

12. Jimbob1989

I've ordered a Netgear Wireless Router and USB Adaptor.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.