Add SuperAntispyware to my security setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rOadToIS, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Hello,

I am using ZoneAlarm Antivirus with firewall, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware free, and sandboxie when surfing.
    I recently uninstalled DriveSentry due to conflicts caused by DS with my system.
    As a result, I am considering adding SuperAntispyware to fill in the gap of DriveSentry.
    Should I add SuperAntispyware to my security setup, or is it unnecessary?

Please advise.

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Not needed!

3. Starbuck50

Starbuck50 Registered Member

Actually adding SuperAntiSpyware as an 'On Demand' scanner, can't do any harm.
    Scanning with MBAM and SAS alternately with give you the best of both worlds.
    Never leave everything up to one program.

4. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

SAS failed for me; failed to detect a sample of malware and that was it.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't think that's the path to follow. There is no antimalware product that will detect everything, and we all know that. So, will we all ditch them, if our antimalware products fail to detect something? Then, what will we do, if a new setup will also fail at detecting something?

What if any other preventive measure we have also fail to prevent. Will we also ditch them? Etc... By the end, we'll end up without any security? :)

Now, for the user that opened the thread.

Since you browse sandboxed, I would say your system already has a great deal of security, but as everything else, still won't provide a 100% defensive wall. So, adding SUPERAntispyware Free as an on-demand scanner won't hurt a bit, and will be a great addition to MalwareBytes. I'm not saying that both will detect 100%, still both together will cover more than just one.

Regards

6. Starbuck50

Starbuck50 Registered Member

and pray tell, what program has ever detected everything??
    That's why i said to run more than one 'On Demand' malware scanner.
    Security is better layered.

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Can't argue with that. :D

8. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Agree here. You're already well protected. SAS is great, adding it wouldn't hurt, but why not try another type of program like Returnil free? You can use it for security or testing software installs that don't require reboot.

Also waiting for DriveSentry to sort out their problems.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I wouldn't add SAS. You already have MBAM. If you want something else on-demand, consider Avira Antivir Personal.

10. illicit

illicit Registered Member

As a couple others have stated, no AS detects/cleans all malware, so having multiple on-demand is never a bad idea. If you were asking if you should add SAS real-time, then I would say that is not necessary.

11. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I decided to stick to online scanners.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I do a lot of work removing malware in the field, and a combination of MBAM and SAS is what works best for me. They are both good programs, but neither one removes everything. I use MBAM first because it will install in SAFE mode. Aftereward the system will usually boot into normal mode and I can install SAS.

13. progress

progress Guest

Right, but you can replace MBAM with SAS :p

14. playa4life

playa4life Registered Member

Spyware Doctor Would Fill..It's much better than SAS

15. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Even if many of us here at Wilders have quite a few security apps running realtime,that doesn't mean that security consts in number of antimalware programs.
    You said you want to add SAS to fill the gap.I never used Drive sentry but it surely doesn't look like SAS.It seems an HiPS,which you already have one if running Zone Alarm.
    You can read if u want this interesting thread about how can you can get infected in the 1st place and how to use your PC habbits &configure your antimalware tools (if needed) to avoid malware rather than scan for it :) .
    That beeing said Superantispyware even the pro version seems compatible with other tools if realtime,and certainly doesn't do any harm having it on demand.Personally i don't like on demand tools ,but maybe i trust my habbits to much :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.