Add .COM to Blocked-List

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Teddy, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Hi

why isn't it possible to add .COM to the blocked-list? I tried by editing locktype.txt but it seems to be ignored. I scanned my system and found 16 .com-files: 1 in OpenOffice.org-, 1 in TDS- and 14 in system32-directory (very old DOS-commands I'll never use).
    Is there any possibility to add .COM to Blocked-List? If I'll ever need a DOS-file I can add it to be allowed ...

Are there any problems when browsing the web (.com-domains)?

On my system .COM-files usually are maleware received as email-attachements. Maybe my scanner doesn't already know a new kind of maleware so WormGuard would prevent it to be executed - accidently by me or a security hole ...

Thank you in advance
    Teddy

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Teddy, welcome to Wilders :)

.exe and .com files are NOT allowed to be blocked. They are critical sys files to the operation of your system.

HTH TAS.

Attached Files:

3. Tassie_Devils

Here are mine. :eek:

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

4. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Thank you :)

Ok, I forgot NTDETECT.COM. But beside this file there are no 'critical' .com-files (who needs them on NT-machines with a few applications). I see that .-com-files blocked could cause much trouble if they are really needed . But because of only one file which can easily white-listed ... would have been nice. :(

5. Tassie_Devils

Hi Teddy:

How about adding that "white listings" idea in the "Suggestions for WG4" thread in this section. ;) :D

Sure the guys at DCS will take it on board if feasible. I am not a programmer, but certainly presumed .com files would be essential to system if they were deliberately omitted in this WG version.

Cheers, TAS

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Just a thought, you could add .com (executables) to the TDS3 crc list or to Process Guard's protection list or checksum list, this would at least notify you if they were changed.

I have tried running a .com executable and Process Guard pops up immediately for the required permission. :)

7. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Yes, PG pops up when starting e.g. format.com. But as I don't need any .com-files (besides ntdetect.com) it would have been a smarter solution to prevent starting them without scanning/checking etc. ;)

Only a thought ... but I see the problems it could cause if a needed .com-file is blocked and you must find a solution to get your system back running. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.