Add .COM to Blocked-List

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Teddy, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Hi

why isn't it possible to add .COM to the blocked-list? I tried by editing locktype.txt but it seems to be ignored. I scanned my system and found 16 .com-files: 1 in OpenOffice.org-, 1 in TDS- and 14 in system32-directory (very old DOS-commands I'll never use).
    Is there any possibility to add .COM to Blocked-List? If I'll ever need a DOS-file I can add it to be allowed ...

Are there any problems when browsing the web (.com-domains)?

On my system .COM-files usually are maleware received as email-attachements. Maybe my scanner doesn't already know a new kind of maleware so WormGuard would prevent it to be executed - accidently by me or a security hole ...

Thank you in advance
    Teddy

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Teddy, welcome to Wilders :)

.exe and .com files are NOT allowed to be blocked. They are critical sys files to the operation of your system.

HTH TAS.

Attached Files:

3. Tassie_Devils

Here are mine. :eek:

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

4. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Thank you :)

Ok, I forgot NTDETECT.COM. But beside this file there are no 'critical' .com-files (who needs them on NT-machines with a few applications). I see that .-com-files blocked could cause much trouble if they are really needed . But because of only one file which can easily white-listed ... would have been nice. :(

5. Tassie_Devils

Hi Teddy:

How about adding that "white listings" idea in the "Suggestions for WG4" thread in this section. ;) :D

Sure the guys at DCS will take it on board if feasible. I am not a programmer, but certainly presumed .com files would be essential to system if they were deliberately omitted in this WG version.

Cheers, TAS

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Just a thought, you could add .com (executables) to the TDS3 crc list or to Process Guard's protection list or checksum list, this would at least notify you if they were changed.

I have tried running a .com executable and Process Guard pops up immediately for the required permission. :)

7. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Yes, PG pops up when starting e.g. format.com. But as I don't need any .com-files (besides ntdetect.com) it would have been a smarter solution to prevent starting them without scanning/checking etc. ;)

Only a thought ... but I see the problems it could cause if a needed .com-file is blocked and you must find a solution to get your system back running. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.