Adblock Plus teams up with Flattr

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheWindBringeth, May 3, 2016.

1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/03/adblock-plus-teams-up-with-flattr-to-help-readers-pay-publishers/
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/03/a...users-automatically-donate-money-to-websites/
    Bolding is mine. Haven't spotted useful technical detail yet, such as how the Flattr Plus addon and eventually Adblock Plus will report things, to what extent activity can/will be correlated with funding account [and user identity], etc.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

So they'll be tracking user's surfing history and reporting it back to their servers? It's time to change Adblocker on many systems.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

1) This will be an opt in feature and 2) How exactly do you expect it to know who to pay? It will pay the websites you browse to. This isn't some form of malicious tracking.

4. Minimalist

I didn't say it's malicious. It's just another form of tracking users and by this lowering their privacy. There are other Adblockers that don't track users, so why not using them?

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It doesn't "track users", it pays the websites you visit. You trigger a function that pays the website by landing on it. The only form of "tracking" would be your payment history which is no different to a bank card. Do you complain about banks tracking you?

6. Minimalist

It has to track which sites you are visiting in order to know who gets paid. From second link:
    It's not big deal if this will be opt-in option.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I also don't know what to think about it, but it's still an interesting idea. But I think the approach from the Brave browser is better. I do hope that the ad-blocking problem should be solved. But it can only be solved by the ads industry, but seems like they refuse to stop with annoying ads and the tracking stuff.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Company Behind Adblock Plus Buys Peter Sunde's Flattr

http://news.softpedia.com/news/company-behind-adblock-plus-buys-peter-sunde-s-flattr-514616.shtml

9. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I'm amazed they have made such a deal given the growth of ublock, I don't believe adlock plus has ever previously had such a strong competitor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.