Adblock Plus for Android

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 142395, Oct 30, 2014.

1. 142395

142395 Guest

As I mentioned in FilterProxy thread, I found Adblock Plus for Android and it's download link.
    https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install
    VT results:
    ~ Removed VirusTotal Results as per Policy ~

Sorry I've not tested this and will test tomorrow, but I have used it when it was still on Playstore.
    If nothing has changed, it works same way with FP, though using port is different.
    One big benefit is you can get automatic blocking for ads, so no need to manually configure filters!
    Of course it don't have advanced capability FP has such as redirect control or header modifying, but I think it will suit most user who don't want to be bothered by manual work.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

When I last used it, I find it slower and buggier than FilterProxy. Still a viable option though.

3. 142395

142395 Guest

Me too, but that was my old phone.
    So I'll try it to see whether it is changed.
    But I wouldn't use it permanently as I'm satisfied with FP.

4. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

The apk is still v1.2.1 which hasn't changed since I used it last year on a rooted Boxchip Allwinner A13 (Cortex A:cool: Tablet running Android 4.0. It dragged things to practically a halt, crashed constantly and was pretty much worthless at blocking ads. My friend had the same experience with his Samsung S4.

While FoolDNS does an excellent job, I an not wild about its lack of both anti-spoofing countermeasures and DNS rebinding attack protection. I'm wanting to get back to the Privacy Foundation DNS servers I like to use on all my systems.

I figured, let's give AB+ another shot on my recently rooted Nexus 7 2103, KK 4.4.4. Big mistake. J_L's "slower and buggier" is an understatement!

I've been using AB+ in Firefox on my Windows systems since about '07 and have nothing less than happy happy joy joy with it.

Unfortunately, the 'droid version is a miserable piece of junk. Wladimir has obviously given up on it and he should pull it off his adblock.org IMHO. I bet I can find a few folks at the AB+ forum who could agree with me.

Cheers.

5. 142395

142395 Guest

I didn't test as I read your comment, FOXP2.:)
    Do someone tested WebGuard by Mobisoft LLC?

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Could you elaborate? I've been using it for a long time without any problems. Did you take the technical requirements into consideration?

I'm running Cyanogenmod and ABP has root permissions. BTW, I'm combining it with AdAware (also with root permissions) - the perfect combination, IMHO. I don't see any ads - nowhere.

EDIT: Sorry - I missed that you tried it on a rooted Nexus. Nevertheless, did you explicitly grant root permissions to ABP?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  7. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

An easier way is to configure your router with these IP addresses:

162.243.154.60 and 64.16.214.40

All networked devices and apps are virtually ad free.

8. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

@IvoShoen
    Sounds interesting. who maintains these dns servers?
    Any one using these?

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

http://ba.net/adblock/

Currently not using any third-party DNS cause of FP's. Client-side adblocking is enough for me.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  10. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

No problem. But, I never consider technical requirements - they are too heavy on my system.

Anyhow, referring to the J_L and IvoShoen posts 9 & 7:

As of this posting, 162.243.154.60 is one of the two addresses at that ba.net site. Their other is 87.118.111.215 (DNS1 for fooldns) which seems to have replaced 64.16.214.40, thought it still resolves OK.

They also have PRO AdBlock IPs... 162.243.154.60 & 80.79.54.55. Hmmmmm.

The DNS2 fooldns is 213.187.11.62.

I've been using fooldns for about three weeks and it's near-perfect with no ads or blank place holders in my installed apps. Then again, I don't do anything serious with the tablet, it's even on my WiFi guest network to keep it away from my LAN. Outside of the house, I use only the CoPilot app using its local sdcard maps; I run with a CDMA flipper otherwise. I can't report how fooldns would do on a smartphone, conducting commerce, banking, navigation, etc. via a mobile net especially since I'm woefully ignorant on how the Gs do teh intawebz.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  11. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

ABP Android is having issues on Kit Kat (no root), seems not so effective as I've seen many ads till date.. Also on 3G, be it port 2020 or 26571, I see ads..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.