Adblock+ Alternative?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mortl, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortl

mortl Registered Member

Topic says it all.... Im looking to use something else. The main reason why is because I have been getting error messages in firefox about an unresponsive script caused by Adblock +

2. wembleyy

wembleyy Registered Member

had the same problem when i upgraded to the new version of adblock plus,
    uninstall reboot and install again, it should be working

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I haven't had any issues with the new version so far *crosses fingers*, but, to answer your question, as far as an ad-blocker for Firefox you have 3 choices off the top of my head that will work: 1. AdMuncher. 2. Host file. 3. Proximitron. Admuncher is not free, but it does seem to work well (haven't used it in quite some time). A Host file is a good choice for ad blocking, but do not count on it or any other "blacklist" option to protect you from drive-by downloads, malicious scripts and the like. Proximitron has a TON of options, but might be a bit difficult to configure. It is free though and there are a lot of pre-made block scripts to load into it.

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Don't know if this is related but the updated-latest FF 3.5.1 has a fix for their
    own problem Just-In-Time script compiler.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Ad Muncher is hard to beat. Every once in a while they have it discounted to like $17 for a lifetime license (which runs through their version 4.++ releases). It seems to have been on 4.72 or below the last few years. Trial Pay is also an option. But besides from the ad blocking AM can also act as a security layer from certain web sites- not to the depth of noscript, but certainly more than just an ad blocker. I have Chrome, Iron, FF, Opera and IE all filtered with AM. Although I have heard it may not be compatible with Opera 10 beta releases. But for now I just chose "filter target" as one of those programs and it was filtered. Auto updates, quality filtering, not bad at all. AM used to conflict with other programs- I never could get it to run with A-squared and Online Armor took a while to get straightened out. So there may still be conflicts with other programs. As advise, I would suggest to run all programs on your computer thoroughly during the trial period. AM's web site does not seem keen on making their program compatible with others. But conflicts aside, AM is one of a very few number of programs I would pay for.

6. ktango

ktango Registered Member

Hi mortl,

Plaese try to use Greasemonkey + AdSweep.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

There's another option. Google adblocking userContent.css file and see what you come up with. I've been using that for a long, long time.

Later...

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I just checked the Ad Muncher site. They really make it difficult to find the price! :doubt:

9. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

what do you mean difficult , all you have to do is click on register and you will see the price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.