AdAware scan

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by choppbobby, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choppbobby

choppbobby Registered Member

I started using the free version, of Spyware Blaster 3.5.1 a few days ago.
    This morning I ran a scan with AdAware, and it found 13 instances of spyware.
    I was under the impression that your program stopped spyware before it got into my computer.
    Please advise.
    Thank you,
    Bob Burns

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

spywareblaster does not stop spyware directly. what it does put bad sites in IE's restricted zone and it also blocks malicious cookies and activex (i think).

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Bob....Welcome to Wilders :thumb:

It would be helpful if you would Please post the log file Adaware generated concerning this scan. This would be about the only way your question can be addressed given the fact if what AdAware found is not in Spywareblasters database it can not protect you from that "spyware". Seeing the items Adaware found would also afford us the opportunity to explain how you can shore up your Security so that spyware will not exist on your PC.

Regards,
    Bubba

4. choppbobby

spywareblaster does not stop spyware directly.
    I was under the impression that it did.

It would be helpful if you would Please post the log file Adaware generated concerning this scan.
    OK The next time I run a scan with it I'll try to post the log file.
    Thank you both for your replies.
    Bob

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

When the scan has completed, click "Show Logfile". Copy/paste the complete log file in a thread of your own.

If you have your General settings set to Quarantine objects prior to removal you should be able to go into the Quarantine Manager and copy\paste the scan results from the Quarantine backup without waiting to do another scan.

6. choppbobby

When the scan has completed, click "Show Logfile". Copy/paste the complete log file in a thread of your own.

I couldn't get the copy/paste to work, so lets try this:
    http://chopperbobby.com/log file.txt Hope the link works. Bob[/B][/COLOR]

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It did indeed and I can assure you if that is all you ever find when using programs such as AdAware you can pat yourself on the back for practicing safe hex :thumb:

Now to the nuts and bolts:
    the important part from your scan log:
    As you can see AdAware did not find "spyware" it found instances of MRU's(Most-Recently-Used). As far as AdAware is concerned they also refer to them as Negligible Objects and should have been located under the Negligible Objects tab after the scan was completed.

MRU
    Some examples would be items you have typed in the Start button\Run box , files you have opened using MSpaint, Excel,Winword....etc.

some examples of MRU locations

Your log is clean Bob but if the above does not explain MRU's well enough Please let us know.

Regards,
    Bubba

8. choppbobby

Your log is clean Bob but if the above does not explain MRU's well enough Please let us know.

I think I get the picture.
    Thanks,
    BobCOLOR]

9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Generally I run AdAware scans with the "Find negligible ..." box unticked. Typically MRU's are all that will show up there, and as Bubba suggested, they're not worth worrying about, other than for privacy from others using your computer or to trim the registry down a little.

Scans run a little faster that way, plus there's (normally) much fewer objects in the results. And there's all kinds of utilities specifically for quickly cleaning out MRU's, if you are concerned about them.

10. choppbobby

Generally I run AdAware scans with the "Find negligible ..." box unticked.
    OK Mike, and thanks you for the suggestion.
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.