Ad-Watch and Boclean

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by snowbound, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I don't know if this is a known issue or not. Iam an Ad-awareSE Plus subscriber but rarely use Ad-Watch anymore for different reasons.

Well, today i decided to enable Ad-Watch with Automatic Blocking enabled. Upon reboot, i noticed that Boclean did not appear in the taskbar. I had to manually go in and start Boclean. All my other start programs fired up as usual.

I unchecked Automatic Blocking in Ad-watch, rebooted and low and behold Boclean was running on start up. Like i said i haven't used Ad-Watch for a long time and i don't ever remember this happening before. Seems to me i do recall reading somewhere though some time ago that the Automatic Blocking option is not recommended. I can't remember why.

Has any other Boclean users had this issue with Ad-watch before?

Edit- There was also no warning of a registry change by Boclean when i had Automatic Blocking enabled.

snowbound

2. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I recently stopped using Ad-watch (varied reasons) but ran it alongside BOClean without any issues. A friend is still running both and he hasn't mentioned anything like this to me either (we spoke yesterday)
    I haven't installed the new version yet so maybe if you are running the new one something is conflicting o_O

I was waiting a few days to see if the new one had any patches like the last release (installed and then they fixed something so another install :rolleyes: ) I am not even activate Ad-watch when I do install this time.

3. snowbound

Did u or your friend have Automatic Blocking enabled?

No i haven't updated to the new version yet and it looks like when i do i will continue to use Ad-watch very rarely if at all. I have other apps to cover what it does anyway and frankly i find it a little too agressive for my tastes.

snowbound

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I had similar problems with another product. Ad-watch kept undoing a registry start-up entry without warning me. Finally I figured it out and just shut down Ad-watch. I am now using RegDefend, which I think has far better and more flexible protection.

Rich

5. snowbound

That's exactly what is happening here. If i remember right, when i first used Ad-watch, it used to undo my AV at startup also. After that, amongst other things i stopped using it.

Yes , haven't got around to trying RegDefend yet but it looks very interesting and the comments here are very positive. Will have to give it whirl soon. ;) :D

snowbound

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Same exact thing happened to me as well, which was another reason I also stopped using Adwatch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.