Ad Muncher vs SuperAd B locker

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Perman, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: These two apps are excellent progs and are competetive to each other. I have been testing SuperAdBlocker and so far so good. On the other hand, I did test Ad Muncher back in last May and encountered some BSOD and sytem instability. I like to try it again but like to have few encouranging words prior to testing. Can someone share your experience of both apps and perhaps some pointers of preferences? Thanks.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The great advantage of Ad Muncher is that works with every browser or program...

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

my preference is to superadblocker; it doesnt slowdown browsing and its includes a personal version of superantispyware.

ive tried admuncher, but i didnt like it and i couldnt get it to update either.

4. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

As an FYI - Ad Muncher (and other products that work with "all" browsers i.e. AdSubtract (no longer supported)) works as a proxy (as of our last testing) and one of the issues with proxies is that once they strip out code, it's gone from the page, so if you want to CTRL-Click to allow something, it has to re-load the content from the server to get the page to refresh and that can actually increase the time required to load/block the content.

The other issue with a local proxy is that if the program crashes, or has problems filtering, it will kill all access to the net via http which can be a problem until you get things resolved.

When designing ad-blockers and pop-up blockers over the past 6 years, I have considered the proxy route many times, as the "works with all browsers" is a nice advantage - but the downfalls always discouraged me and we ended up doing the plugins for IE, Firefox, AOL and MSN.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAdBlocker.com
    http://www.superadblocker.com

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Nick. i've used proxy content filters (Proxomitron and Privoxy) every day for the last few years and haven't ever had the problems you describe. i haven't heard them being a problem for anyone else either.

if you had two adblockers, one a proxy and the other a plugin, which both had the same functions and they both always worked, wouldn't the proxy be the better option? i really like http proxies :cool:

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Nick,

Ad Muncher have some disadvantages, like you said, but always worked very well to me with every program...

Your program seems to be very good, but lacks support for Opera, and that isn't really good for me... Maybe you will add support for it on the next version...
    It works with Maxthon, Avant and others IE Shell's...?

Regards

7. Kennut

Kennut Registered Member

I'm using AdMuncher for over 3 years now, have two lifetime licences.

Used it on both Win98 and WinXP, on IE5,6,Firefox and on varyous HW configurations...never had a problem, slow down, or other problems.

So I'm very happy using AdMuncher.

I can't compare AdMuncher with Superadblocker as I've never used it. Don't know if it even existed in 2003?

On the other hand, I'm very satisfied with Superantispyware Pro (2 lifetime subsription two :D wich is a product from the same company.

Both AM en SAB have a free trial period, so try before yo buy :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.