Ad-Muncher and Ghostery.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by molhopicante, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. molhopicante

molhopicante Registered Member

If i'm using Ad Muncher do i need Ghostery?

Some day ago i bought a EAM license and they gave me a free Ad- Muncher licence.

Now, i'm using Ghostery with my IE9 but i will use Ad-Muncher.

So that's the question.

Do you recomend me uninstall Gostery or using both?

Thanks.

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I do not use Ad-Muncher but do use Ghostery. From what I have read about what the former does I think that they do not duplicate what each other do so I suspect that if you need each type of protection then you should have both installed.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Ghostery helps to block the dreaed WebBugs too :thumb:

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

As does AdMuncher.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What is Ghostery and what does it do?

6. guest

guest Guest

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

They both claim to block web bugs but I have noticed in the past that even with admuncher active that ghostery still reports web bugs not being blocked. The last time I check though was probably a year ago or so.

8. guest

guest Guest

I'm sure it changed a lot. But when I tested it last week, I noticed Ghostery claiming to block Google Analytics for example -- and Google Analytics was already being blocked by Noscript.

I did a small research and got the answer on this thread: http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5016

In the words of Giorgio Maone (Noscript's autor):

"If NoScript doesn't have GA in its whitelist, scripts from GA can't load nor run, period.
    Either Ghostery is checking the page DOM for script elements which tried to load GA scripts (and failed because of NoScript), or is detecting images (not scripts) loaded from GA."

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think guest has answered this, but I would just like to point out that there is a Ghostery version for Chrome/Iron, SeaMonkey, Opera & Safari. The non-Mozilla versions are not as sophisticated or developed, but work quite well.

Ghostry Download Centre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.