Ad-Aware updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guitarelf, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarelf

guitarelf Registered Member

My last def. update was 19/09/06. When I check for updates now, I get the 'no updates available' message. Never had this problem with Ad-Aware personal SE before. What should I do?
    Guitarelf.:doubt:

2. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Adaware have not updated their definitions since 19/9/06 so this is not a problem with your setup.

Regards

3. guitarelf

Thanks, Londonbeat. They usually update the defs. more frequently so I was a little perplexed!
    Guitarelf. :) :thumb:

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I think thats pretty bad not to have updated their defs in over 2 weeks, especially for people who pay money to have ad-aware protect their systems. Maybe they are all hard at work on ad-aware 2006 lol.

5. guitarelf

SUCCESS!! Managed to update defs. this evening,
    Guitarelf. :D

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup success here to. f-secure updated def as well.

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

having update problems here

8. crifasi

crifasi Registered Member

I had some problems too updating to Ad-Aware SE1R125. Last night I updated it, and the updater said "retrieving update" as usual, but then stalled at 5%. But then after about 15 seconds or so it continued downloading other files, and said that it had successfully installed the new definition file (SE1R125). But when I clicked update again just to make sure, it reported an error in updating, instead of "no update components available." So I wasn't certain whether the update was totally completed, even though Ad-Aware now says SE1R125 has been loaded. This morning I clicked update again, and now it says "retrieving update," stalls at 5% again for only about a second, and then says "no update components available," presumably meaning that I have completed all updates. But then why does it start by saying "retrieving update" at all, and stall at 5%?

anyone know?

9. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Same here. Seams they have server problems. Trying to download anything from Lavasoft page takes centuries or is impossible.

10. cheater87

9 30 am and i still can't download it

11. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I am also still having problems updating, gets to 5% then crashes, saying the definition file could not be read.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Same here

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Server problems earlier for SE1R125 06.10.2006 update appear to be fixed as of this post from my location.

14. cheater87

woohoo i updated it

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I still can't :(

Reinstalled it many time with Automatic install/uninstall and it can't update . It still hangs on 5% and then reports signatures can't be read . It is very unlikely .

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

HiTech_boy,

Have you performed a manual delete of the old defs file (typically C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\...\defs.ref) before launching Ad-Aware and performing the update?

Blue

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No ,Blue , I haven't . Will try out later :thumb:

18. Hydra

Hydra Registered Member

Hi all ,

I have just last week got a new pc with XPPro sp2. I downloaded AdAware from Lavasoft and did an update. But since then ..like most of you ... i have not been able to get past 5% or sometimes 30 % before the update stops. ?
    At least i see others have this problem . I have tried reinstalling from my download but that took me back to very old def's 501 days old !! At least before I was only 18 days old !! I will try a fresh download from the site .
    Any other suggestions ? ( I even tried an update with the XP firewall turned off)
    Oh ..and yes .. I have allowed AdAware in the firewall.

Any new thoughts ,

Hydra

19. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I think the server was down last night as I too had the same problem,. However, today it seems all is ok and the Definitions are dated 6 Oct 2006.
    Gordon

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hydra , you don't need to turn off Windows Firewall in XP's SP2 to update Ad-Aware , you don't need an exception , too . It is just an update problem . You can wait some days or change with another program

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi Blue .
    I reinstall again and tried your suggestion . Unfortunately , it still can't update o_O . I use Windows Firewall , though . I am thinking of changing it with something else .

Thank you very much ! :thumb:

22. Hydra

Hydra Registered Member

Thanks Hi Tech Boy ..
    In the meantime I found on the Lavasoft site a manual update up to 19/09/06. I put that in OK ... then I found an other manual update on the "Major Geeks" site with updates to 06/10/06. These are 'zip' files with the "def." files. These can be opened and extracted to the Lavasoft\Adaware\ files in C:\programe files ..or what ever you have. They will overwrite the old files ..and then you are up to date.
    I hope that the Lavasoft servers are fixed soon as I have been happily using AdAware for a long time now. I was beginning to think that only the 'paid for' version would get the automatic updates !!
    All the best ,
    Hydra

23. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

24. Green Dragon

Green Dragon Registered Member

Hi guys,

each time i try to update I have a message "Error retrieving update".
    My last def. update was 20/09/06. I had never this problem with Ad-Aware personal SE before.
    What should I do?
    Is time to try another antimalware programme?
    In such a case, which is the best?

Thanks a lot
    GD

25. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Move the defs to another location and try again.
    Hope that will start the updater. ;)
    Yours to decide whether you want to try another.
    I'm using SuperAntispyware & AVG AS realtime without any problems.
    Dropped Spy Sweeper to only scan on demand, but will try again with the new version. :)
    Ad-Aware is also used on demand.

As to say which one is the best, I really don't know.
    Use whatever you like and make sure it plays nicely with your other apps. :thumb:

Since no anti-spyware can detect everything, it's better to use more then one IMO.

Try some apps already mentioned here, so you can make a better decision which ones to keep. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.