Ad-Aware still good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Tommy, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Is Lavasoft Ad-Aware (with real time shield) still as good as in former times or have they been run over from the in Wilders more discussed applications? It's one of the less discussed AM applications on Wilders, why? I see that Lavasoft is doing more regarding updates in the last weeks. Opinion?

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It all depends on who you ask.
    It may be a middle-of-the-pack A/S program.
    It lost popularity in the past and maybe it never re-gained it all back.
    That was a support issue between version upgrades some time ago.
    I think another factor is the new programs available like SAS and Spyware Terminator are getting attention.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Its still reasonably good imo,my only problem with it is the slow updates.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Yes,
    For a long time it seemed the update frequency was low.
    That doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i use to for a cookie scanner and as a back up one

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I recall a time when as a LavaExpert then HijackThis Moderator for them they took a less interest then the quality volunteers who poured hours, weeks, months and some even years to not only professionally restore users machines who crowded in the forums for polite and friendly expert service but many times flooded Lavasoft's supposedly IT storehouse with submissions, many which took quite an effort in many cases to teach the users to forward those malware intrusion files to help keep Ad-Aware's database up-to-date as much as humanly possible, but just as much time also went into debugging Ad-Aware's software problems which they the top levels chose to dismiss or make excuses for when they couoldn't bring themselves to admit they needed attention.

Of course the expert volunteers grew weary from repairing users machines while at the same time having to debug and report inadequacies in the product itself which made it a double chore for them, including myself.

The thanks for our efforts all those years was to be ushered out the door and they subsequently closed the forums instead of exercising the same loyalties those experts undertook to keep it afloat. So much for the past.

As mentioned it's only a novelty now to clean MRU's and a Cookie cleaner at best. Still Good? I dunno for what except for a suveneir of the past as more efficient and concientious developers have left them far behind in their dust and abilties.

End of story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.