Ad-Aware SE Personal

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Oremina, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Just spent an hour or two messing about with this new version of Ad-Aware.
    Have had Ad-Aware on my PC's for two or three years, since (if I remember correctly) v5.61.

Never had the slightest problem.

D/l'd SE last night, installed it properly (i.e uninstalled old version first) and did a scan. Apart from all the fp's on Hosts files reported in other forums, scan seemed to go smoothly.

However when I clicked on PG or Ad-Aware again, my PC froze completely. I couldn't even switch it off or bring up Task Manager to stop the process - the whole lot completely frozen. I had to do a hard power down by just switching off at the tower. Tried a few times, always the same.

Found out this morning that it would work only if PG protection was disabled, but when it was enabled nothing was being written to the log. With normal blocked flags it was freezing.

Have just sussed out that apparently the only way I can get it to work without hanging up my PC is to give Ad-Aware.exe full allow privileges.

Has anybody else experienced this or any other problems with AD-Aware/PG, or can anyone explain it? The old version 6.181 certainly never needed allow privileges.

:doubt:

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I have downloaded the new version of adaware se and all is well with process guard and adaware and no problem with any freeze up of my system.
    I have noticed in pg log that the new adaware wanted write terminate set info and suspend privilages, but that was all, i cant remember what programme it wanted these privilages on, but maybe i will uncheck the allow boxes and see what the programme was.

THE MUL

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Oremina, Is it a beta or a full release? As I have not had any notification for my licenced version. :(

If it is a beta then expect the unexpected, I would play around with the Allow flags a bit as AdAware might not need all of them. Also there may be some sort of debug tool running which could cause your problems.

HTH Pilli.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

No Pilli, it's a full new version mate.

I also am waiting for email for my PLUS version, which are apparently coming out.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=40596#

TAS

PS: From all reports, it's verrrry fast, each new one getting it reports it's much quicker at scanning and are all impressed. :D

5. Oremina

@ the mul - Thanks, please let us know if you find anything odd.. I didn't try all the allow flags individually (frustration had taken over) but with just the Write flag on Allow the freezeups continued. After that I set them all (not options) and have had no problems since.

@pilli - Hi pilli, it is a full release and there are threads about it over on DSLR and of course on the Ad-Aware forum.

Guess you'll be hearing from them shortly re your licence.

I must say that apart from that initial problem I've been quite impressed apart from finding some Hosts files as fp's and having to add them to the ignore list, but it is certainly pretty fast. :)

How ever did we used to pass the time of day before PC's etc?? :D

6. Oremina

7. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi, the Mul :) . Well, it did the same to me, (even if I had NO problems with the new-SE version :rolleyes: , as I've seen that lots of people are hesiting to reinstall the former one, until a "patch" or something for the SE release... :doubt: ), and I can say that it requested "write, terminate, suspend, set info, etc..." on ALL protected programs . But no matter about that, it doens't prevent Ad-Aware from doing its jobs, I think ;) .

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.