Ad-Aware SE / NOD32 issue

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by webyourbusiness, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I've just got back a staff machine and before re-issuing it, I thought I'd simply run some spyware removal tools, deep scan with NOD32 etc,...

So running a FULL scan using ad-aware SE and it starts finding issues - mainly cookies I suspect, but then it finds a number of dormant ISTbar variants, and begins doing "something" with them (it's still scanning at this point) - AMON springs into action proclaiming that there are ISTBar trojans - offering my the option to delete, quarantine, rename etc... being scumware, I just want to delete the file - NOD32 won't allow me to... there are all sorts of errors relating to new file creation and like... end result, I can't delete the file...

any ideas how to remove these WHILE Ad-aware is still running?

Or...

do I simply ignore these until ad-aware completes, then run a deep NOD32 scan to remove the baddies?

cheers...

Greg Hewitt-Long

2. DanL

DanL Registered Member

I had a similar problem when running Trojan Hunter.
    Best to disable NOD32 while running a scan with TH.
    You might try this with Ad-Aware.

Dan

3. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

That's normal. It happend because when Ad-Aware analyze your files, AMON do the same. Every file that scan ad-aware is scanned before by AMON so if AMON detect something it will alert you and block that file. Anyway, IstBar is a family of adware, NOD32 detect many of them. But is true that when you scan your disk using others AV/AT/AS, disable AMON, but don't forgive to reenable AMON after the analyze of your disk. A scanning of your disk periodically is also recommended.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

it's a bit of a pain to turn off amon - but I guess the ad-aware scan will be faster as a result - if only there was a safe way to have a list of "trusted" apps - although I feel such a system would be far too open to abuse by bad apps....

oh well... manual turn off I guess it is...

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

....you could add apps, executables or directories you trust to the exclusion list in AMON if you wanted- it doesn't take much to see which ones are scanned over and over while the system is idle - but you won't be alerted if something changes them. In theory anything harmful would still be caught before it could change them anyway....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.