Ad-Aware Scan (Need Help!)

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by Birdman, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Started registry scan
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Windows Object recognized!
    Type : RegData
    Data :
    Rootkey : HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Object : Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
    Value : Homepage
    Data :

Can someone please tell me whether or not I should remove thiso_O Thank you.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That alert is not a big concern. You could leave it or remove it depending upon which way you want a particular IE config set.

All that alert is showing is that the registry key that holds the setting used to "Lock the IE Home Page from user changes" is present on your system. If you ever used either SpywareBlaster or Spybot S&D (and actually several other tools) to "lock" that setting, then you will have that key present in your registry, and Ad-aware (and other tools including HijackThis) will flag it to let you know it is there.

These products alert on this simply because sometimes people did not choose to make that setting themselves. Some spyware that hijacks your home page can actually set the locked value in that key in order to keep the user from changing their home page back to what they want.

If that key is set to a value of 1, then the home page is locked from manual user changes via: IE > Tools menu > Internet Options... > General tab > Home Page section.

So, as I said, if you chose to set that in one of these other tools, then leave it. But, it won't hurt to delete it either.

3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks for your prompt reply LWM! I did "lock" that setting through SpyBot S&D and SpywareBlaster. Is there a way to prevent that alert from showing up on future Ad-Aware scans without actually deleting ito_O

Thanks again. :)

4. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

I think it can be add to IGNORED in Ad-Aware :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.