Ad-aware 2007 new version

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by carry, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carry

carry Registered Member

Hi!
    Has anyone tried the new version(free) of Ad-aware se ,and which are your thoughts about it ?
    Thank you to tell if it is a good one, or if you prefer another.(and which)
    Carry-

2. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

New version. 2007 has been out for along time now it it sucks. Use SuperAntiSpyware.

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's nearly 2008, why on earth would they still be trying to push out 2007 versions? Then again why have they fallen so woefully behind, and remained there, from where they once was?

SUPERAntiSpyware is best by a long shot and continues to advance by leaps and bounds.

5. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

SuperAntispyware or Avg Antispyware are two good ones.

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, I'm assuming you are looking for a free on-demand scanner that doesn't provide real-time protection.
    SuperAntiSpware free
    AVG Anti-Spyware free
    a-squared Free

If your looking for free real-time anti-spyware protection you could have a look at Windows Defender, BOClean or Spyware Terminator.

You didn't specify your Windows version, so please make sure the programs are compatible with what you have.

innerpeace

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I tried it. Had a few bugs. And a few FP's, one an important reg entry, probably been fixed, now. Couldn't work out how to update the defs every time without getting an error, or having settings revert to an unwanted setting. Tried to ask on the forums, couldn't even register, contact emails went unanswered. Hardly surprising, since they bounced back "could not be delivered".
    Caused some other problems with file associations too, I forget which ones.
    Was a bit of a pig to uninstall.
    Sure looks pretty, though.
    Superantispyware, Asquared, AVG, or Spywareterminator are all superior, IMO.
    Actually, Spybot is superior, IMO.

8. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

SB 1.5 is too slow. Long load times.

9. carry

carry Registered Member

Thanks a lot at all for your suggestions and links you have given-
    Maybe I will try for Superantispyware-
    @Innerspace; my window version is XP pro sp2-And yes I am looking for free on demand scan.
    Carry-

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

carry,
    It would be a major upgrade for you to try SAS.
    Ad Aware is just not what it used to be,too many new threats out there today that it cannot protect you from.
    I currently use SAS free as my only dedicated on demand AS scanner and am very confident in it's ability.
    I think you will be glad you tried it. :D

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

There is a fix for this here
    Seems to work quite well.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi carry, any of the programs mentioned should be fine. I usually keep more than one around to scan all new downloads. I also scan them with my Anti-virus and sometimes upload them to VirusTotal or Jotti to be scanned by multiple scanner (files less than 10MB).

13. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

I used Ad-aware for a while and didn't really like it. I found it was slow, used too much resources and had a process running 24/7 for no reason.

I did a test on my brothers laptop which was thriving with trojans and adware - It found 6 infections but was unable to properly clean them. I installed SuperAntiSpyware and it found 12 trojans and 5 spyware that Ad-Aware had missed -- and removed the lot of them... :thumb:

14. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

I just installed Adaware 2007 on a pc I was cleaning the other day & was disappointed how it makes it look like you have to get a license to install it (free version.) Finally I just clicked cancel (I thought this would cancel the installation) instead of entering a license & it finished installing. I'm not supporting any program that tricks you like this.

I think A-squared & Superantispyware will be my 2 antispyware scanners for now. I'm impressed by all the people that highly recommend A-squared & I just installed it yesterday & ran a quick scan that took 3 minutes, very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.