ActiveX in firefox

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by aigle, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is there anyway to block ActiveX in firefox, or any extension to do it. I am using OA trial and it is doing this job but I need some free option.

2. dog [away]

dog [away] Guest

Firefox doesn't support ActiveX, nor does any browser that isn't an IE shell. ;)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But when i go to some sites say cnet or pcmag via firefox, OA is saying ActiveX on that page is dangerous, you want to allow or not?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sites can have activex but firefox wont load it. ive wondered myself why OA asks for it.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

so we should ask the OA support, it happens many time, if u have OA, u can try to go to cnet or pcmag websites.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

look at this picture, blocked ActiveX in firefox, marked red by me.

Attached Files:

• OA.JPG
      OA.JPG
      File size:
      76.1 KB
      Views:
  7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would submit the question to the Online Armor forums. Here.

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

There is an ActiveX plugin for Mozilla FF used by webdevelopers for using the gecko engine in HTML editor software. Maybe you, or somebody else have by mistake downloaded this plugin to your browser?

Regards, C.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s my personal notebook, nobody is using it. I did not install active X plugins. BTW if it is installed there must be some way to know it exactly, so if u know that way I can check. I do have java from sun.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for that! If u have alreadt posted it there, pls give a link or if u can,t i wwill post myself.

11. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

OA reads the page BEFORE the browser sees it and alerts that the content is there. These are alert about the website content. This has nothing to do with what browser one uses and also does not matter what options are enabled for that browser.

12. WSFuser

loading pcworld.com in IE gives no indication that the site has activex. in aigle's pic, in place of "[ActiveX blocked by Online Armor]" it just has an ad. what does OA consider activex?

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Doing a search on the Online Armor Forums brought back a number of Activex hits. The latest I found was this Jan 2006 thread where it was mentioned that they will be looking into some type of solution.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can see on the picture, there is written ActiveX blocked and the webpage is opened by firefox.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As FirePost alluded to....OA looks at the HTML code which is the same code no matter what browser one uses. On that blogs.pcworld page there is an advertisement being shown using Shockwave which is an ActiveX control. It is being displayed by using the HTML code tag object. When OA looks at the HTML code on that page it sees the object tag and presents you with the ActiveX warning regardless of the browser you are using.

16. WSFuser

not to get OT but what exactly is an activex control and is there a more specific defintion for the activex used at windows updates or kav online scanner?

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

ActiveX controls are plugins and those that have been downloaded by a user can be found in the Downloaded Program Files folder....which is where you would find Windows update or KAV's online scanner ActiveX Control if you have installed those. That's also where you would find Windows Media Player, Macromedia Shockwave, RealNetworks RealPlayer and also any Malware type ActiveX controls.

Introduction to ActiveX Controls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.