Active partition not recognized

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Naik, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naik

Naik Registered Member

Hello.
    I'm using TI v.8.0 937 by which I've created an image of the active partition existing on the RAID 0 array in my machine. This SATA array is obtained using the Intel Matrix Storage technology supported by the ICH6R Southbridge chipset my motherboard hosts.
    Trying to restore from the image created I realize that TI see the partition hosting the OS as non active and the other partition existing on the array as active, so ain't possible to boot from the restored partition.
    This is probably due to the presence of both the partitions activated in the array (last time I reistalled the OS in the partition before used for data)
    How can I solve? Is there any way to add XP boot information, or to somehow activate the partition without deleting data contained?
    How can I deactivate the data partition before the next image job?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Naik,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image 8.0 allows you to change the type of the partition during the image restoration process. You can read more in section 5.5 of Acronis True Image 8.0 User's Guide.

If that's not the case then please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem. Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Naik

Naik Registered Member

Hi Alexei.
    Restoring from boot CD I haven't that option.
    I must boot from CD cause I think I can't restore using as target the disk from which the OS and TI application are running (this is my crash scenario).

"Googling" the net I've found the magic spell to restore the boot sector: -fixmbr- typed into the XP recovering console. It was a hard way, cause doing so I got a message saying not standard partition data recognized and the fix action probably could damage data in the partition. But evectually I tried and now the system seems to work, but I'm not yet sure it's all right.
    However, data were correctly imaged...

In the Partition or Disk to Restore windows do I have to check partition only or both disk and partition, in order to have bootable data ?

Does the Intel Matrix Storage is correctly supported by TI?
    I ask cause I tried to restore a single ATA HDD with Windows XP installed and all went fine, with no kind of problem...

4. Naik

Naik Registered Member

Sorry, I forgot about step by step description.

I created an image of the OS partition, the bootable one, running TI into the OS. Then I incremented the image running TI from the boot disk.

When I created the image the OS partition were recognized as C: , but when I incremented it using the boot CD, the OS partition were recognized as D: pri(mary).
    The data partition were recognized by the boot CD as C: pri act.

I went to restore using the boot CD. TI pointed out the partitions contained in the image as non active (both for the first stored and for the incremental). The restored partition didn't boot up: NTLDR missing error.

I restored the boot sector, or rather, the MBR (cause I wasn't able to find a way to restore the boot sector only)
    using -fixmbr- in the Xp recovery console.
    The system booted up.

Using Acronis Disk Director boot CD (also here the OS partition were recognized as D: non active) I activated the partition and then I incremented the image by the TI boot CD.

I went to restore using the boot CD. TI pointed out the partition contained in the image as non active. The restored partition didn't boot up.

5. Acronis Support

Hello Naik,

Thank you for the provided information.

Please note that only the image of the entire hard drive contains MBR, so if you want to include the MBR into the image archive you should check the box near the hard drive's name (e.g. disk 1). It should solve the boot problem next time you will restore your image.

Please also note that it is a normal situation when Acronis True Image 8.0 shows drive letters different from those that you can see from under Windows.

The point is that Bootable Rescue CD is based on the Linux environment which has it's own rules of the drive letters assignment.

However, it is very strange that it shows the wrong types of the partitions.

Could you please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please also do the following:

- Launch Acronis Report Utility once again and select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy;
    - Rename the report created from under Windows to report_win.txt and report created using the bootabale floppy to report_diskette.txt.

Please also make a shots of the appropriate screens of Acronis True Image 8.0 wizards showing the correct drive letters and types of partitions when the program is launched from under Windows and the wrong drive letters and types of partitions when it is booted from Bootable Rescue CD.

Please use a digital camera in order to make a shots of the appropriate screens when booted from Bootable Rescue CD.

Send all the collected files and information to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Naik

Naik Registered Member

I've two active partitions at the moment and don't know how to get rid of the useless one. Supposing that I still succeed in understanding which of the two...

7. Acronis Support

Hello Naik,

Please note that there is no chance of having two active partitions on one physical hard drive.

Please do as I have suggested in my previous post.

We will do our best in order to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. Naik

Naik Registered Member

Right, I'll send you the report files as soon as possible.

I just still want to specify I'm working on logical disks created by Intel Application Accelerator RAID Option ROM v4.0.0.6211 in a double disk RAID 0 array.

These logical disks are recognized either by the BIOS and by TI like physical units: the BIOS let me choose from which logical disk I wanna boot; TI recognize two partitions, each one of them in a different disk.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  9. Acronis Support

Hello Naik,

Thank you very much for all the provided information.

Please wait for one of our support engineers to reply to your letter.

If you will not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours, please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter, I will find the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. Naik

Naik Registered Member

Thank you, very much. I've just sent reports.

Strange things were happening here in the meantime.
    I had to restore again, but -fixmbr- didn't solve any longer (o_O).
    This time I startup again the restored partition copying
    -ntldr-, -boot.ini- and other boot related files from the root of another active XP partition.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.