"Activate Windows" dialog box is blank.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I was doing some troubleshooting on my motherboard when all of a sudden Windows wanted me to activate it. All I did was disable my network, printer, and com port. But the damn "Activate Windows" dialog box is blank! No buttons, not text. Just picture of two keys on a blue background. Does anyone know how to fix this thing? I have been on the phone with Microsoft 3 nights in a row and they are clueless.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Do you have HTA disabled on your computer?
    Many control panel menus are actually hta files and will show blank if you use a program like htastop.
    Mrk

4. Close_Hauled

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That was helpful. :mad: Reinstalling may be the best way to go at this time. Unless, someone has a better idea.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Close,

You didn't mention the system so I'm not sure if this applies .... Check the note below number thirteen for by-passing DCOM activation. It supposedly overrides the security check that's in place for the Microsoft Search Gathering Manager COM object. I can only guess that tinkering with the item's you reported is what set's this in motion.

PS - Not "better" Ron, just an adjustment of the sail's. :D

GF

7. Close_Hauled

When I got home last night, the system was disabled by Microsoft. My 3 days had expired. I could only boot it in safe mode. I re-installed XP and had to endure the download and install of 49 critical updates. I did not look on Wilders before I started, so I never had a chance to try your idea.

I hate that Microsoft could not figure out how to fix the problem. I am certain that they know how internally, but that it is a security risk to them to tell us how to fix it.

I believe that I may have broken "Activate Windows" a long time ago when I deleted the contents of the OOBE (Out of Box Experience) directory out of ignorance. I could be wrong. If someone has a lab computer that they can afford to break, maybe they can test my theory.

I honestly believe that what Microsoft did to my operating system should be illegal. I have a legitimate license that I have had for years. There is no reason for them to arbitrarily shut my system down because of a bug in their program.

They claim that my disabling ports should not have caused Windows think that it was now in a new system. That is precisely what happened and they need to re-write their code. No matter what ports are disabled/enabled, it is still the same motherboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.