Acronis® Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mschultz, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mschultz

mschultz Registered Member

I currently own a copy of Acronis® True Image 9.1 Server for Windows which is used to backup our Windows 2003 SBS.

I need to migrate the system from the current hardware to an HP Server (the source system is actually an HP PC with the same architecture which had to be used in a disaster).

The new HP server has internal RAID controller which normally requires a special driver installing when W2K3 is installed.

What I would like to know is whether Acronis® Universal Restore will allow me to transfer the system from the HP PC to the HP Server hardware?

Thanks

Martin Schultz

2. jaks13579

jaks13579 Registered Member

And I would like to know if the issues with UR not prompting the user upon restore have finally been addressed

eg:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=165534&highlight=universal restore prompt

Or this:

Default Re: universal restore won't jump in when restoring
    Aleksandr, please answer the question as it was asked. How are we to "force" Universal Restore prompts to show in the restore wizard when restoring to similar hardware and the prompts do not appear as they should. A reply to this question should not require advanced diagnositcs and log files, we simply want a workaround for the moment.

3. cgrelard

cgrelard Registered Member

And me to...

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

And also me. How about it Acronis. You have known about this for over a year and have done absolutely nothing, you won't answer tickets, you won't give us a solution.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.
    Yes, Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows with Universal Restore fully supports Windows 2003 Small Business Server and will allow you to transfer the whole system to your HP server.

jaks13579, cgrelard, silver0066, we would like to inform you that the most common reason for such an issue is that one tries restoring an image of a non-supported operating system by means of one of the Acronis True Image 9.1 Family editions (e.g. restoring an image of a Windows 2003 Server with Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation which doesn't support sever OSes). If that is not the case it is recommended to contact Acronis support via web form with the details of the problem since there can be various reasons for the issue.
    Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Please feel free to contact us again any time should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

6. mschultz

mschultz Registered Member

I have a further question - the source HP Server has Windows RAID 1 configured. The target HP Server has hardware RAID 1 configured.

Will I need to remove the Windows mirror before I migrate to the new server?

Thanks

Martin Schultz
    MSTech Associates

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mschultz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup software

Please note that Acronis Universal Restore add on does not support moving Windows Dynamic Drives to hardware RAID. So in order to migrate this system to new server you would need to remove your software RAID and convert the dynamic drives to basic ones.

You can also use the following workaround in order to migrate the system:

1. Create an image of your source HP server and restore this image (without using Acronis Universal Restore). It would convert your dynamic drives to basic ones.
    2. Create an image of this system with basic volumes and restore it to your new server using Acronis Universal Restore.

*Please note that it's not guaranteed that this workaround would work without any issues and we do not recommend to use it on your production server without testing.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

8. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Did you back-up the whole disk and tried restoring the same whole disk? because some times our C isn't our "system" partition and we will not be prompt with the UR option if what we are restoring is not the system partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.