acronis tur image 8 and split image ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jolato, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jolato

jolato Registered Member

Hi,
    I am using True Image 8 build 796 on a Win 98SE system.
    When I create a new image, it is automatically split in two equal parts, so this wastes DVD space. And the wizard does not propose the 'split image' window, as explained in the manual. Why ?
    Regards,
    Marc

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Marc,

My guess is that they aren't two identical images but that they are two parts of the same image.

When imaging direct to DVD RW, for ISO 9660 compatability reasons, TI splits the image file into 2 gigabyte chunks. Each part will be named and incremented <your file name>1.tib, <your file name>2.tib. Further parts will also be incremented and recorded onto additional disks as necessary.

When checking, exploring or restoring an image it doesn't matter which part you select, TI will know that they are all part of the same image.

One thing to be aware of though is that you can't directly explore an image that has been split across two or more CDs/DVDs. In this case, all parts of the image will need to be copied back to a single partition or folder on your hard drive and mounted/explored from there.

Regards

3. jolato

jolato Registered Member

Does this reply work ? I posted st yesterday but I see nothing ?
    Anyway, here's a short version: can I disable ISO9660 compatibility ?
    If not, why do I not get the 'split image' window I only get this window when writing to HD) ? Is there any way to tell TI to take a bigger chunk then the default 2 gig ?
    Regards,
    Marc

4. Menorcaman

Hello Marc,

I'm afraid there are no options to alter the way TI splits the .tib files when imaging direct to DVD. Hence the reason you are not presented with the "Split Image" window.

The alternative is to use the two-step method detailed in this <Acronis Online FAQ>, setting the image split size to 4.5GB and then burning the resultant .tib files as DVD-ROM (UDF) compilations rather than DVD-ROM (ISO).

Regards

5. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

This is FAT32 limitation, not an Acronis one. W98SE is an obsolete OS and FAT32 an antiquated and morose file system (no recovery journal, etc).

6. Menorcaman

Hello sandokan,

I'm afraid you've got yourself mixed up here. The FAT32 file size limit is 4GB and has nothing to do with the way TI splits the .tib files into 2GB chunks when imaging direct to DVD.

Regards

7. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

I neglected to read (I guess) the "imaging to DVD" part. BTW, the limitation in size is not 4GB, but 4GB minus 1 byte. The rest of my post stands. FAT32 is an inferior file system prone to irrecoverable screwups.

Nonetheless, if you want to create an image for storage on a 2nd physical drive using FAT32, and your image exceeds the 4GB -1byte limitation, you'll wind up with a split image, which isn't the case with NTFS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.