Acronis True Image wiped my drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jj0071, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj0071

jj0071 Registered Member

Ok. I tried to clone my two raptor drives, one to the other, using the newest version of True Image. The result, The source drive was erased and the destination drive is un-bootable. Then, i tried to create a bootable rescue disc and I receive a Bad media error. Well, I have two state-of-the-art DVD drives and have tried several different brands of CD's. This suks. Any Ideas?

2. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Ok now..

Firstly, when cloning, it pays to read the information on each of the screens, as you found out, one of the options is to wipe the source disk as a part of the operation. Not a recommended option, its always best to ensure that the operation was successful before nuking your system drive regardless of what you're doing.

Latest and greatest does not unnecessarily mean the best. Bad media errors can be a result of a number of things. Not usually a problem when burning CD's however if your burners aren't getting enough power, they can quite easily coaster disks.

Use the windows CD, boot the recovery console and issue fixboot and fixmbr on the drive thats un-bootable, you may get a working system out of it, you may not.

Also you didn't mention what you did to get to a state where you'd be able to create the rescue media...

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Was wondering that myself .. with one drive wiped and the other not booting, how did you try to make the bootable rescue cd?

4. jj0071

jj0071 Registered Member

Oh, five HDD's. It never hurts to have a backup HDD,,or two,,,three. The optical DVD drives run perfectly. Power isn't an issue. The erase disk option indicated that it was to erase partitions on the existing destination drive, not source drive, to ensure a proper clone. It gave no indication that it was going to erase the source drive.
    Thanks.

5. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Yes, the erase disk option is provided for destination disk. The next screen (for source drive data) gives you the option for erasing the source disk.

I'm assuming your on True Image Home of some flavour? 9? 10? It may be different between home and workstation (which I'm on).

6. jj0071

jj0071 Registered Member

It's TI 10,,,,just got it. Yeah, I chose not to wipe the source. Somehow, I believe the MBR or FAT became damaged. Either way, I have attempted the fixmbr and fixboot to no avail. The same message comes up when I attempt to boot to either of the Raptor disks. BTW, I cloned the destination back to the source, after the source was lost and attempted to boot to either raptor. Same error message on both disks. Needless to say the raptors are SATA. The files are on the disks, I see them when I boot them as slave drives. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I hate doing fresh installs and these raptors were my gaming drives with bookoo files.
    Thanks.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Are yo sure you cloned the correct drive?

8. jj0071

jj0071 Registered Member

I know you mean well but that's insulting. Ofcourse I cloned the correct drive. When I clone a drive, ~Non-support related comment removed - Ron I only connect the source and destination drives.
    Suffice to say, TI is not living up to my expectations.
    I should be able to create a bootable disk, when performing a simple clone without all of this hassle.
    I even tried replacing the root files;autoexec,bootini,etc, which I made a copy of immediately after completing a fresh install last time. Yes, I did this replacement only after the drive failed to boot. I've tried everything except a fresh install or a repair. The repair option on the windows xp home sp2 cd always mucks up my settings. If I do a repair, I might as well do a fresh install. This defeats the purpose of having a backup, or of purchasing this software.
    I have seen in the forums, repeatedly, that many customers are experiencing the exact same problem. After they perform a clone, the cloned drive displays the message, "Error Loading Operating System". This is the same problem I am having. Other than the fixmbr,etc. I have yet to see a fix for this issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2007
  9. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

The Repair feature you tried is probably not the correct one. When you insert the windows cd, do as if you are going to install windows. Ignore any screens to do with Recovery or Repair until you get to the EULA screen. After you press F8 to agree to the eula, the next screen will have a Repair option. That is the one you want - it will not interfere with your existing settings or applications.

10. jj0071

jj0071 Registered Member

Well, I gave it a try. The same error message comes up upon boot. The repair unfortunately didnt fix the issue.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jj0071,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please refer to previous post of mine to find the suggestions that should help you to create Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

As for the issue with Clone Disk tool of Acronis True Image, please create Acronis Report in the way described below with both source and destination drives plugged in:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please also be aware that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

No one is trying to insult you. We're trying to understand how you achieved such an uncommon result atih ATI. Generally reading a source drive isn't intrusive or harmful at all tothe drive being read, provided the drive is poperly funcitonal. The two most common ways to end up with an unbootable source drive after cloning, if both drives are seen by ATI, is to clone the wrong drive or to tell ATI to wipe the source drive. So it seemed a question worth asking. It can be an easy mistake to make, even for computer experts. Also, note that you can't always go by the drive letters -- it's best to name the drives, or at least the source drive so that it can be distinguishedithout relying on drive letters.

13. jj0071

jj0071 Registered Member

I cloned the drives via the serial numbers, to ensure proper source and destination drive. I wouldn't even care that the source drive was wiped had the destination worked. I still have a destination drive with all the files but, I receive the same error,"error loading operating system" when i boot to the drive. How do I get this drive to function properly. I have tried every "fix" that I have found in these forums to no avail.

No one is trying to insult you. We're trying to understand how you achieved such an uncommon result atih ATI. Generally reading a source drive isn't intrusive or harmful at all tothe drive being read, provided the drive is poperly funcitonal. The two most common ways to end up with an unbootable source drive after cloning, if both drives are seen by ATI, is to clone the wrong drive or to tell ATI to wipe the source drive. So it seemed a question worth asking. It can be an easy mistake to make, even for computer experts. Also, note that you can't always go by the drive letters -- it's best to name the drives, or at least the source drive so that it can be distinguishedithout relying on drive letters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.