Acronis True Image Home 2009 setup hangs at the end

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dpokluda, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpokluda

dpokluda Registered Member

I am having an issue with the ATIH2009 setup. I have an open support ticket (#1736696) but Acronis team doesn't respond after sending them logs and stuff. Since I know a workaround I thought I would share that with you in case somebody has the same/similar issues:

I have downloaded the latest installation package (TrueImage2009_s_en.exe). These are my installation steps:

1. Run the installation program
    2. Extract the MSI from the installation program
    3. Run the MSI from the command line:
    msiexec /i "C:\Temp\AcronisTrueImage.msi" /l*v "C:\Temp\acronis.setup.hang.log"
    4. Setup started
    5. Agreed to the license agreement and entered my serial keys
    6. Select Complete setup
    7. Select Install for all users
    8. Review the setup options and click Proceed
    9. Progress bar slowly reaches the end and sometimes either stays there for
    ever or the progress resets but nothing happens
    9.1 At this point I have created a copy of the log -- this is where it hangs:
    MSI (s) (98:D:cool: [10:02:08:555]: Doing action: CAExecutePostInstallBinaries
    Action 10:02:08: CAExecutePostInstallBinaries.
    Action start 10:02:08: CAExecutePostInstallBinaries.
    MSI (s) (98:D:cool: [10:02:08:558]: Note: 1: 2235 2: 3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT `Action`,`Type`,`Source`,`Target`, NULL, `ExtendedType` FROM `CustomAction` WHERE `Action` = 'CAExecutePostInstallBinaries'
    MSI (s) (98:E4) [10:02:08:576]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSID61E.tmp, Entrypoint: MsiExecutePostInstallBinaries
    1: MSIGEN:MsiExecutePostInstallBinaries: MsiExecutePostInstallBinaries started
    1: MSIGEN:MsiExecutePostInstallBinaries: Processing ''...

9.2 I have also looked at Process Explorer where I see that msiexec
    started Explorer.exe as a subprocess that doesn't end
    9.3 From the log I see that the program is trying to invoke custom
    actions by executing MsiExecutePostInstallBinaries method from
    C:\Windows\Installer\MSID61E.tmp. The file does exist but the processing
    hangs right there!

MY WORKAROUND = HACK:
    10. From the ProcessExplorer I kill the Explorer.exe process that was
    started by msiexec
    11. Acronis installer claims to be "successfully" finished
    11.1 When I look in the MSI log (see acronis.setup.hang.log) then you
    can see that MSI reports a successful execution (line 11376:
    1: MSIGEN:MsiExecutePostInstallBinaries: Item was successfully
    executed with code 1
    Action ended 10:06:27: CAExecutePostInstallBinaries. Return
    value 1.
    12. The product seems to work fine.

I can always reproduce it. The same happens when installing updates. When
    you release an update and I try to install it, I would see the exact same
    hang. My system configuration:

* Windows Vista x64 with SP1
    * My user account is of Administrator type
    * UAC is turned off

I tried on different machines (with the same configuration) and I always see
    the hang.

Have you guys see that as well on any of your configurations?

2. BPFLOYD

BPFLOYD Registered Member

Thank you dpokluda ! :D
    Your hack saved the day.
    I have been banging my head with this exact same problem.
    Pretty sad I paid $40 bucks for this junk ! :mad:
    Plus it is sad to see that this issue has not even been fixed yet. :thumbd:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dpokluda,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

Our developers fixed the issue, we requested some specifications from them. You will receive a notification shortly.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

4. capatt

capatt Registered Member

I've got exactly the same problem on Vista. Installation reaches the end and hangs forever. I kill it via task manager and see an icon on my desktop. I start up the program and it seems to run fine. But, will I trust my system to it? No.

I try a repair, but that doesn't work, it just hangs when "Acronis is configuring your system". So I cancelled.

Support, can you tell me what the fix to this is? I'm using the latest build released in January.

Thanks

5. aurgolo

aurgolo Registered Member

Hello guys, maybe i have something related to ur problems,
    i bought 2 days ago the boxed version of acronis true image home 2009 (i think is the latest ver., but not sure) , i installed it but after reboot the machine started to have a strange behaviour: external drives (i have 3) not recognized anymore, dvd movies not readable (probably also the cd player could not work), when launched true image it started analyzing the machine for 1 hour then i hard rebooted......
    i tried to uninstall, but it stopped in the middle of the process......... fortunately i had another image of the machine i took 1 month ago with driveimage and re-installed (but it is currently not working with sp3 this is why i switched to true image), but now i dont know what to do...... maybe is because i have xp-pro with sp3 ? my machine is: AMD phenom 3ple-core 8450 2100 MHz, motherboard Asus M3A78, 2 mb ram, BIOS AMI (07/04/08, it think is 64 bit, maybe for that it does not work?

thanks anybody who helps me, ciao

andrea

6. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

capatt, it can be a case when GUI freezes, but the entire program is installed correctly. Check the program functionality, and if the program doesn't bother you, it will be better to leave what is working fine alone.

Andrea, please read your previous thread.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. asidana

asidana Registered Member

hi, i have exact same problem but mine doesn't start after failed installation.When i start acronis it hangs on main gui. only frame that holds the gui appears.
    Is there any solutinon for proper insatllation?

My installation was working fine with latest buildand last backup was done on 23rd of arch.I didn't change anything in the system apart from windows updates.

8. Acronis Support

Hello asidana,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Please send us the following diagnostic information:

1.Launch the product installation file
    2.Once the Acronis product installation screen appears, right-click on the name of the component that fails to install. You should see two options there: Install and Extract. Select Extract
    3.Select the path for extracting the component and click Save
    4.Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command: msiexec /i path&msi-name /l*v log-name.log, where path&msi-name is the name and path of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and log-name.log is the path and the name to the log file you want to save the output to. For example, msiexec /i D:\AcronisFolder\AcronisTrueImage /l*v D:\log-name.log
    5.Reproduce the problem and send us the log file created during the installation (it will be created on D partition).

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

9. asidana

asidana Registered Member

Dimitry, after my post i have opened a trouble ticket and problem solved by downloading never build of acronis true image home.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.