Acronis True Image Home 2009;$29.99

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by henryg, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henryg

henryg Registered Member

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The ugr.com has it for that "all day, every day". And you do not have to be a member of a User Group.

3. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Sounds like a good deal if you just need a basic backup program.

The fun starts when one tries to do anything "fancy" like scheduled backups, T&D, consolidations etc.

I wonder which build is being offered of ATI 2009.

4. BarJabba

BarJabba Registered Member

I am about to use T&D to install an upgrade of the OS (XP Home to Pro) this is the upgrade version and I have a source that can get it to do a full install on a new drive/machine.

Are you saying that T&D always fails(or has a large number of failures)? What has been your experience with T&D? Can you say with a reasonable assurity that the chances of using this part of TI will be a fail?

Why would a professional team put its incremental updates to thier programs as different builds? Is TI 2009 in beta or something? I understand that updates are a normal part of using software these days, but offering builds instead of full versioning is for betas and such. IMHO, a developing team should put out incrementals as updates and we should not have to purchase each incremental. Only full version upgrades are(1.0, 2.0, 3.0, ect.). The incrementals fall in between full versions (1.1, 1.5, 1.9 then sale/publish 2.0) this way everyone can be on the same page and bugs and updates can be tracked and grouped. What a nightmare to do it in a fashion that fragments the users, as well as, the program itself. I am not sure that this is how things are done at Acronis. I will have to look at the version histories for the software I use. Offer SP's and automatic updates is the way to do it, instead of using full/new versions, as incrementals/builds. I ouchase full versions and would not upgrade to incrementals if they aren't offered as automatic updates or SP's. Example: Microsoft.

I bought DD & TI for T&D and OSS. I had considered other less functional software for the purposes I needed.

Please let me know what I should look for, or what to avoid.

Make it a great day! :thumb: ;)

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Interesting to use T&D for an OS upgrade. I wouldn't even waste my time with T&D for such a task or much else. I just make a full image of the HD and then when I'm done and want to go back, I restore the image and know that I am exactly back where I started from.

You are making too big a deal out of TI builds. TI new version releases are designated by the first number and it used to be a bit simpler before TI2009. So the versions are 10.xxxx, 11.xxxx and TI2009 is 12.xxxx. Updates within the releases are called builds and are designated with the .xxxx number so a typical current build is 12.9607. My guess is that each "bug fix" or modification causes the number to be incremented. TI does not charge for each newly released build only for new versions. Each released build is indeed the full program, not a bunch of patches and I have no problem with that. This really is no more obscure than things like 5.2.01 etc.

6. BarJabba

BarJabba Registered Member

I don't think it was that too over done in my opinion. I did say that I was new to Acronis and I wasn't sure exactly how it was with Acronis. I was just stating my opinion based on I what I know up till now. Obsure and fragmented versioning is something I avoid. I claimed ignorance as to what Acronis does.

Anyway, I had bought the applications and am trying not to leap before I look as many I found here has done. I am happy thus far.

Thanks for the tutorial on versioning. However, I am already quite knowledgeable of it. I've been using versioning according to the mandates of to whom I was working(since 1983). Found a lot of stress in trying have them follow industry standards. So, I know such development firms exist that do not really care much. Sometime, they do it on purpose as a marketing strategy.

SIGH! :isay: Maybe you are right this gets boring too though.

Make it a great day! :thumb:

7. jehosophat

I agree with SEEKFOREVER about T&D

I have tried it on my hardware and it does not work.

My hardware is a Dell 3000 running Windows XP SP4.
    Better to do a full backup before testing anything and then restore if necessary.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

Before you make a purchase I would recommend you to check whether the company is an official Acronis reseller or not. See the following link of official Acronis resellers

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Whatever build is offered,once you gt your prog, you can register at Acronis and download the latest build, so that shouldn't be an issue.

10. jehosophat

Good point SHIEBER.

At the moment I would suggest using ATI 2009 build 9709, rather than build 9770 or 9788.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.